800Cc Honda V4 Vs. 800Cc Triumph Triple

cug

Has someone ridden/owned both and can give a comparison between the two engines? I'm absolutely clear on the differences between the VFR and the Tiger, I'm only interested in opinions about how the modern V4 (I had a 93 RC36 in the 90s, so my memories are quite a bit "rusty") compares to the Triumph 800cc Triple, one of the nicest engines I have ridden in many years.

I sold my Tiger 800 triple for the new VFR, so went straight from one to the other.

The VFR is certainly more powerfull than the Tiger. The engine note is more surpressed on the VFR but they cannot hide it completely, no matter how big the silencer it is still there !

Near where my mum lives are some lovely twisty roads through open country, and you can keep it in 4th gear as it will do 30 mph to xx mph in that gear. It is wonderfull as you ease back slightly on the throtle the speed slows by that fraction also, then wind it and you are off again, very responsive, and very torquey.

I have found that the VFR motor seems not at its best at about the 4k revs, it may be me but it seems to vibrate the most at this rev range. Below and above are fine but around that 4k range I can feel a few vibes in the fotrests and hands.

The Tiger had great sound to it and linear exceleration, but under-geared. Often when "busy" you would go for another gear and find you were already in top gear and think you could do with another gear - the VFR is the oposite - things are, er, going well !, and you still have another gear left !

I am not sad to see the back of the clatter that the Tiger motor made. Something to do with the cam chain tensioners and they all do it so I am told. At about 2-3 k revs the Triumph motor had this tappity clattery sound that was quite annoying - especially on campsites. I would be riding around looking for a tent pitch and everyone looking at me and my clattery Triumph because the motor clattered at just that slow speed rev range.

In short the VFR is more powerful, but still has great torque characteristics from low speed. It is not quite as raucous as the Triumph Triple, but maybe an aftermarket Yoshimura/Akrapovic would sort that out if required. Gear changes are better on the VFR and being a Honda I am sure it will be built just fine.

HillebergNammatj2_zps9323198a.jpg

I have the smaller 675 Street Triple along with 2 VFRs (1st and 7th Gen). Each of the motors have something going for them. All pull well from pretty low down, However the Triple feels turbine smooth, burbles at low revs and howls when it is going. The VFRs have a more of a pulsing beat to them, no niggly buzzes, and a great sound (the Gen 7 needs an aftermarket pipe though).

The Gen 7 is definitely the quickest (go figure with the extra cubes), and then the Triple, with the Gen 1 not far behind. It did make me think that if Triumph put out a sport tourer 800 with a fairing and panniers it would be a hard choice against the VFR Gen 8. At the moment the VFR800 and Z1000SX are often looked at as similar purpose and price range. Be nice to have a triple in the mix. Good luck with your choice if you decide to.

post-23773-0-08587800-1403964782.jpg

post-23773-0-72185500-1403964871.jpg

post-23773-0-54623700-1403964931.jpg

Thanks for the descriptions! This is super interesting. My Tiger 800 had some very slight but annoying buzz at around 4200 to 4600rpm that I never really got around as that hits right at the speed it felt okay on the highway.

I also always wished for another gear up top. I could ride the Tiger in a way that I never shifted on some of my favorite twisty roads as the engine was so incredibly flexible. I really like that engine.

Now, what I remember from my RC36 is that I could jump on, ride 600km, get off and feel just fine. No tingly hands or feet or anything. The Tiger either wasn't as good at that or I got more sensitive when getting older. My current ride is a 2014 R1200GS, so talk about tingly hands and feet. I sometimes can feel it days after a longer ride. It seems I'm getting used to it after a while, but it's not a nice experience.

I also know what you are talking about on campsites, nice tent btw:

IMG_9517-L.jpg

And on the bike:

IMG_9534-L.jpg

Somehow I don't have photos of my VFR750.

I wonder how I'd feel on a VFR800F today. Unfortunately there are no test rides here in the area, at least I haven't found any. Well, we'll see.

Keep it coming if you have experience with the engines!

Nice tent !

Secretly wish that the weather would turn nasty overnight, to really put the Hilleberg tent through its paces, but so far nothing has really hapened to test it.

I know what you mean about Triumph doing a quality sports tourer. It seems that, in the world of motorcycles, you usually have to get a bigger bike to get a more premium product. The top of the range are usually the largest bikes. But with the new VFR you seem to get a premium product but without having to ride a huge 1200 cc bike. Withe the Triumph range an upgrade from the 800 would have been something like the 1200 Explorer .

I am finding the VFR a bit more muscular than the Triumph 800, which was so easy to ride. The VFR clutch is a bit heavier, suspension a bit stiffer, throttle a bit heavier. It is not hard work to ride, but compared to the easy to ride Tiger 800 things are a bit more - muscular.

Anyway, must go - USA v Belgium about to start !

Thanks for the info. That's also good to know. I believe my wife would be much more happy if we got a Street Triple as the "other" bike we could ride. We'll see.

I recently had a friend crash my Street Triple so I'm on the hunt for a new bike. The VFR and the ST3 (Street Triple) on paper are virtually identical its amazing! The weight metric though is rather off. The VFR is about 100lbs heavier than the ST3. Thats the thing that worries me about the VFR. I have never ridden a VFR of any generation. The motor on the ST3 was a damn peach!!!! So use able around town, fantastic for back roads scratching and perfect for track days.

Loop Rider and I have discussed the differences a little. Anyone have anything to add? I'm hoping to take a demo ride soon. Whats the character of the V4 like? I have ridden every configuration but V4 and flat anything, but not a V4. So I have no idea what the engine will be like. Do they act like V-twins? A mix of Multi and Twin characteristics? They sound SICK!!!!! I know that already.

The V4 in the vfr800 right off idle has the same amount of torque as a 600 at 10,000 rpms (maximum), as the rpms rise the torque climbs higher very smoothly on the V4 then stays level. The power is there at all times, yet it screams at high rpms also. Im sure a V-twin will make more torque lower in the rpms (I dont know for sure because I cant compare it, except for what Ive read about them), and an inline 4 will make more high end power at the top, but the V4 does both very good. When moving the VFR800 feels very light, reminds me of my old cbr600 but feels a few lbs heavier a few inches longer, although there is 100 lbs difference between them. Realistically a 600 weighs about 428 lbs wet, they always give dry weights on them (365-375 lbs), the 2014 VFR800 is 528-536 lbs wet.

I am part exchanging my tiger 800 roadie for the new vfr, loved the bike and engine, but think this new bike will suit myself and pillion better.

The V4 in the vfr800 right off idle has the same amount of torque as a 600 at 10,000 rpms (maximum), as the rpms rise the torque climbs higher very smoothly on the V4 then stays level. The power is there at all times, yet it screams at high rpms also. Im sure a V-twin will make more torque lower in the rpms (I dont know for sure because I cant compare it, except for what Ive read about them), and an inline 4 will make more high end power at the top, but the V4 does both very good. When moving the VFR800 feels very light, reminds me of my old cbr600 but feels a few lbs heavier a few inches longer, although there is 100 lbs difference between them. Realistically a 600 weighs about 428 lbs wet, they always give dry weights on them (365-375 lbs), the 2014 VFR800 is 528-536 lbs wet.

One thing to keep in mind is that the ST3 is a triple not a I4 like most 600's.. It makes great bottom end. I have zero desire for an I4. The Daytona is more like any I4 in its engine set up but still has much more useable power. The ST3 is more like a V or L Twin but maybe not as breathless up top, again due to its cam profile and mapping.

I am part exchanging my tiger 800 roadie for the new vfr, loved the bike and engine, but think this new bike will suit myself and pillion better.

Would be nice to get some immediate impressions from you when you switch. Especially regarding weight/handling difference, engine feel and smoothness.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my vfr yesterday, taking the triumph to the dealer through heavy traffic shows how good the tiger is if you used it as a commuter. Taking the vfr home through the same traffic was a chore ( never had panniers before so i didnt filter). Adjusted the seat to the lower position then took her out for a quick blast (minus panniers). What a difference when you are out on the open road , the riding position will do wonders for my back (I hope) as i seem to keep my spine straighter, i used to sit on the tiger and within a few miles i would start to slouch giving me some aches and pains when i got off. Dont notice the weight of the vfr at all, the brakes as everyone says are brilliant, suspension is good and ground clearance a lot better going round the bends, unlike the tiger which has crap brakes and suspension and was always scraping the footpegs round some of the better highland roads. Have i made the right decision, you bet. Oh and the vfr wins in the looks department hands down.

How do the engines compare in your opinion?

I had a Traxxion/Öhlins suspension, so that was lightyears ahead of any stock bike I ever owned, but the Tiger brakes are not good, that's true. People claim they are meant for "dual sport" so that you don't over brake easily on loose ground which I think is BS. The Tiger brakes have no feel (take that on loose ground) and even less action. Always loved the two-finger braking on the VFR (or my GS).

Regarding seating position: people don't realize what they do to themselves when the first thing they do is adding Rox risers so that they can slouch down like a bag of potatoes again. The GS is very upright, but ever so slightly tilted forward, which means lower back isn't slouched normally. And what do people do? Add risers so they can slouch. Argl ...

I agree on the looks department.

Archived