Need Help With My 1983 Vf750F Interceptor

Kdrich223

I started working on my 83 Interceptor few weeks ago. I have done a carb rebuild, set float height, adjusted the valves, replaced crossover tube o-rings, synced the carbs but for some reason when she gets up to running temp and rev past 3k rpm, rpm will fall back down normal but then sit at 3k for a few min then flutter down. Only happens when warm. The choke will bring it back down though. Only happens when it's up to running temp. Recently it's started to just climb to 3 4k rpm without having to touch throttle. I have checked for leaks religiously! Any ideas?!

air is getting past something somewhere. Possibilities are

torn diaphragm

leaky carb boots

idle mixture screw mal-adjusted, worn or teeny tiny tip is broken off

clogged cuircuit

I have checked the diaphragm twice and can't seem to see any sign of wear or tears. Sprayed carb boots with stuff that should kill the engine and nothing. I'm not sure what the idle mix screw is, do you mean the pilot jet screw? What about a clogged circuit?

idle mixture screws same as pilot screws. If they are nearer to the airbox, they adjust ammount of air in the idle curcuit and if nearer to the head, they adjust the ammount of fuel. I was thinking that maybe there is a blockage in the feul side and creating a lean condition. The only other thing I can think of is wild, really wildly unbalanced carbs.

Just a goof, but worth a try:

run it with no airbox off and take turns covering the carb intake with your hand. the suction is sometimes great enough to dis-lodge a microscopic bastige that is giving you the blues. If it doesnt work, it didnt cost anything.

I appreciate your response! We tried covering the boots and #4 was the one that didn't have much effect. The rest made the engine bog out. Looked for a leak everywhere! The pilot jets are having no effect....you can take them clean out and it will run as if it were in. Made sure the holes were not plugged and again, same thing! Did a compression test today they are holding about 160 to 178 psi but as I pulled the plugs out one #3 was insanely clean...checks for spark and fuel was getting to the carb. I am out of ideas!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Kdrich223, you say you have synced the carbs, but did you sync them after the bike warmed up? The idle may need to be set a bit higher, to prevent stuttering then sync, then reduce idle then sync again.

Archived