Starter Valve Syncing And Low Speed Throttle Response

Oh man you have a rapid bike 3?! I'm over here with my rapid bike 2 jealous! Anyways can I hear more about that data logging system?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Hi CandyRed

I went for a Zeitronix ZT-2 with their LCD display and the Black Box analyser. These 2 items:

post-25941-0-09403600-1402304971.jpg

post-25941-0-62193600-1402304996.jpg

You also need the data splitter to hook up the display and Black Box at the same time.

Check them out at the following URL: http://www.zeitronix.com/index.html

You need to do some wiring alterations to break out the tach and TPS feeds from the ECU. There are other feeds that you can add but generally all you need is a wide band O2 sensor, the RPM and the throttle position and you can work the rest out from there.

The data logging software is very easy to use and give plots like the following.

post-25941-0-97585100-1402305934.jpg

You need to take a methodical approach to tuning with this gear and to get it right will take some time. Not as fast as on a dyno but good fun working out what is what and works the best.

Cheers

Phil

• Member Contributer

Hey CandyRed

How is that TwoBrothers full system going?

Do you think there was an improvement over what you had previously?

As far as the RB3 goes, I found a second hand one on EBay that was off a R6 and flashed it to suit the VFR.

If you have the RapidBike Master software, the firmware for the VFR/RB3 is already included. Very straight forward to do.

If you do find one, let me know as pins 16 and 19 are reversed for the quickshifter and map selector switch.

There is an RB3 currently on EBay and it has a map switch as well. I ended up using a Bazazz map switch on mine with a Cordona SP GP shifter.

The shifter is great. I've never had a missed shift with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-honda-cbr-1000rr-rapid-bike-3-with-map-switch-no-reserve-excellent-shape-/161313452513?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258f07f1e1&vxp=mtr

Cheers

Phil

This has got to be the best thread ever on Vfrd. I just bout a rb3 and map switch and cbr harness for $160!!!!

The two brothers full exhaust has been great. The top end is phenomenal. My 1/4 mile trap speed is up to 128mph. Aka the bike hauls ass.

It's a decent amount louder and raspier (especially in vtec) than the generic 98 catless, motad etc header though. But I'm not complaining. Lol

• Member Contributer

Hey CandyRed

Glad to hear that you've got yourself an RB3

Send me a PM and I'll get the documentation etc. to you to update the firmware.

I've got the firmware that I used as supplied by DIMsport and a standalone app for flashing the device.

Cheers

Phil

Okay thank you!

So what are the benefits of the rb3 over the rb2? Just the ability to switch between maps? I'm thinking of using that for the pit lane limiter feature and wiring it to my clutch switch to use as a two step launch control.

• Member Contributer

The processing power of the RB3 is better than the RB2

I believe there is about a 4 m/s difference with the RB3 being faster at dishing out the map change to the OEM ECU.

I've been using the second map during my map building process so as I keep the last working map in position 2 and then work on map 1.

That way, if I make a balls up, I just flick the switch and I'm back to something that is workable.

A few more things on my mind. The rapid bike 2 and 3 harnesses are equivalent right? Have you seen the adapter cable that adapts the rapid bike 3 harness for use with the rapid bike race "ecu"?? Also the rapid bike race is still just a piggy back fuel/ignition controller correct? The rapid bike race module I believe has all sorts of auto tuning capabilities etc. but the price is still way up there and almost no availability that I know of.

Thanks again for all the help. There is almost no one to talk about about this stuff.

• Member Contributer

The RB2/RB3 harnesses are the same, that is correct. The only difference is pins 17 and 19 or 16 and 19 (can't remember which) for the map switch and quick shifter. They are reversed between the RB2 and RB3.

As far as the RB Racing, there is no firmware available for the VFR so even if you could get the adapter for our harness, you wouldn't be able to flash the RB Racing to suit the bike. The only firmware is for the VFR1200 and it is only suitable for the Rapidbike Easy. The entry level unit.

In this part of the world, New Zealand, there is a good distributor of DIMsport gear in Australia but he doesn't have any of the older gear like the RB2/RB3.

So I think we are stuck with the older technology devices of which the RB3 is the more flexible of them.

Phil

That site, "Powder Lites" sells an entire kit to retrofit a "Rapid Bike Racing Module" to an existing Rapid Bike 3 harness.

"Rapid Bike Racing Kit no harness RBR Module, My Tuning Bike, O2 Sensor, Adaptor Harness. Upgrades your sled to RBR capabilities using the existing RB3 harness. $ 1,195.00"

That is way too rich for my blood, but I am just thinking about what can be done. If you were to just start with a zero map on the rapid bike racing module, then manually punch in your existing rapid bike 3 module fuel/ignition maps, and then let the "My Tuning Bike" tune everything for you. I looks to be possible.

• Member Contributer

The kit that Power Lite sells is for fitting a RB Racing to a Skiddoo 1200 so they must already have firmware suitable.

I don't know where you will get the firmware to suit the VFR800 though!

Without suitable firmware I don't think it is going to fly.

Maybe email Power Lites and ask the question. If it is possible, it opens up so many possibilities. Bluetooth module as well as the auto tuning etc.

Let me know if you find out anything further.

What do you mean by firmware? What do you need firmware for? It should just be plug and play. You should just be able to flash it with a zero map and instal it, then tune it with the my tuning bike. It's just another piggyback controller like the rb3, with some more added features, it's not a standalone.

• Member Contributer

Sorry it doesn't work like that.

The RB3 you've just bought will be running the CBR firmware.

The firmware is the software that is written in to the module that controls the specifics of the motorcycle, like firing order etc.

The following screenshot shows the firmware that needs to be installed on the RB3 to make it work with the VFR VTec

post-25941-0-81610000-1402822361.jpg

The .tut file is the firmware and the .exe file is a stand alone application that is used to install the firmware in to the device via the USB cable.

Take it from me, unless you re-program the RB3 with the correct firmware, it ain't going to work.

I am going to say I am 99% sure on this, the top file is bike specific, controlling fuel and ignition timing. The bottom file, the firmware is specific to the tuning software that you will be using.

There is no reason for the rapid bike to need to know specific firing order etc. The factory ecu will still be in charge of that. The rapid bike will just tell the factory ecu to advance or retard ten degrees.

• Member Contributer

Sorry but the bottom file is an application for installing the top file that is the firmware.

Been here and done it.

If you don't understand, I suggest you contact DIMsport support, they will sort you out.

When I first fitted the RB3 to mine (ex Yamaha R6) I put my RB2 map in it and the bike would not run.

Contacted DIMsport and they supplied me the files I mentioned and I flashed the RB3.

Using my RB2 map, the bike fired up first time and ran as expected.

Over to you and good luck.

• Member Contributer

I made an enquiry with the PowderLite people re the RB Racing etc.

Here is there reply, and my initial question. The part of interest is "the module itself can't be programmed".

Unfortunately request can't be satisfied as we haven't developed a kit for the VFR800 Vtec with the Evo and Racing, so actually the module itself can't be programmed.
This came right from Rapid Bike in Italy.
Sorry not at this time
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2014 2:42 AM
Subject: Rapidbike Racing modules
Hi
I have a RB3 currently fitted to a 2010 Honda VFR800 Vtec motorcycle and came across your web site and the listing of the RapidBike Racing/My Tuning Bike/Wiring Harness Adaptor etc. for snowmobiles and was wondering if these kits could be fitted to my bike?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Phil

• Member Contributer

I'm sticking with the staggered cylinders from here on in.

Up to you but worth a try.

Cheers

Phil

Well we're off to a bad start. I plugged my new rb3 into my laptop and I can't even get it to recognize that the rapid bike is plugged in. su8u3yby.jpgheqadeta.jpg

Then just to double check, I plugged my original rb2 in and everything is fine. I can still access and edit all settings with the rb2, but the rb3 is not connecting, with it on or off the Vfr. The rb2 is connecting with it both on and off the Vfr.

• Member Contributer

Are you using the loom that came with the RB3 to test it?

If so, have you tried the loom on your bike?

If you do, just in case there is a fault in the RB3, I'd disconnect the loom from the bikes loom and isolate it completely, then plug the RB3 in.

When I got my RB3, I used the R6 loom to test it and update the firmware without issue so it might be that there is a fault in the unit you've just got.

I'll go ahead and test it with the cbr loom now. I messaged you earlier, do you think that you could email me the drivers for the firmware etc please?

thank you

Okay it still doesn't work with the CBR loom either. You are right the firmware of the RB3 needs to be upgraded and I probably need a newer version of Rapid Bike Pro on my laptop. So I guess some how I need to get the key for Rapid Bike Manager on my laptop.

Archived