Modding A Windscreen Mod

LangoPTC

• Member Contributer

Hi all!

I have it on good authority that Santa is going to be bringing me a Puig Racing clear windscreen for Christmas and here is my dilemna...

I have not taken the stock windscreen off yet but I assume the stock windscreen has tinted film on it because where the upper cowl meets the meter panel is rather unsightly? Since I like the look of the tint on the stock windscreen and how it fades out and I'm assuming I can't reuse the film from the stock windscreen here is my plan to attempt to replicate the stock tint look:

- Apply reverse Honda decal to inside of windscreen.

- Mask off front of windscreen

- Mask off inside of windscreen from top of screen to top of where fade will end

- Make stencil to replicate the oval curve of the tint (the bottom of a home depot bucket looks like it could be used for this)

- apply stencil to inside of windscreen so that only the area for full tinting is exposed

- fully darken exposed area of inside windscreen with Rustoleum Lens Tint

- move stencil up the windscreen about an inch

- apply a very light coat of Lens Tint to exposed area

I figure if the screen ends up looking like fecal remnants then Plan B will be to just fully darken the entire inside of the screen with Lens Tint but I won't be happy about it.

So there's my plan...I hope to take pics of the mod in progress and finished product and share...good or bad...

Feel free to offer any suggestions you may have...thanks!

• Member Contributer

To the best of my knowledge, the stock screen on the VFR is clear plastic, so I think you are correct in assuming that the faded look on the stock screen is achieved with tinting film.

You could look at having a tinting shop apply a similar tint to the inside of the he new screen for you. Compound inside curves would be very difficult to do on your own and would require a fair bit of heat. If you were to tint the screen, personally, I would leave that to someone who does it professionally, so that you don't chance ruining the new screen. Most aftermarket screens appear to be a thinner plastic than the stock ones so they may not tolerate heat as well when being tinted.

If you are using a spray tint, I might be tempted to do it as they would when blending paint on a car body panel. Start with the strength (amount of color) you want spray, then thin the mixture by 50%, move start line up a bit! thin and spray, then repeat till you get to the end of the screen or you achieve the desired color. You might also consider talking to a local body shop about what you wish to accomplish and how to best achieve the result you are looking for.

I am not a painter so I would get a bit of advice from a pro on this, but I would think if you don't like the looks of what you do at first, then applying dark tint to the entire windscreen interior the effect may just darken what you did first. This being because the screen is clear and first attempt would be the most visible.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Turns out my concern of where the upper cowl meets the meter panel being unsightly were unfounded so I installed the clear Puig Windscreeen as shipped. The reverse Honda decal install wasn't exactly perfect but then again neither is my riding.

Puig Windscreen

Puig Windscreen

• Member Contributer

Looks good. How about a side view so we can see how much higher the Puig goes than stocK? A ride report/review on the difference in air flow?

• Member Contributer

The airflow off the Puig windscreen is very similar to ZG double-bubble which was on my previous VFR. I'm 5'9" and airflow off the stock seemed to hit my upper chest whereas the ZG and Puig are top of the helmet.

I took a measurement and measuring straight up from the front bottom of the windscreen and making a right angle to the top middle of the windscreen is ~14 inches up and ~9.5 inches over. The windscreen measures ~49 inches from ground. Front wheel was on ground with bike sitting on rear stand. In the attached pics I have a 48 inch level sitting on a 1.5 inch block of wood for reference.

Windscreen Pic 4

Windscreen Pic 1

Windscreen Pic 3

Windscreen pic 2

• Member Contributer

Thanks - A sport-touring screen on my last VFR made all the difference in the world for long days. Looking to do the same with my 6th gen now. Either a Puig, Givi, ZG or similar.

Archived