02 Vfr800 Fuel Pump Problem - Help!

Guest hedge133

Guest hedge133

Last week I picked up an 02 VFR 800 which was a Bike on my Bike Bucket List. I always loved the Look of them. Problem is, I can't get it to run. The bike turns over, I get a "Click" from the Fuel Pump Relay, there is gas in the tank. The main fuse(10) is good which sits right behind the tank.

If someone out there can give me some suggestions, I would appreciate it. I don't think I'm getting power to the Fuel Pump.

When you turn the ignition key on you should hear the hum of the fuel pump for a few seconds. Does that happen?

How many volts do you have at the battery? Key off? Key on? (Is battery good and charged)

Hi and welcome!

Sounds like the typical Blue Connector Ground wire issue if the fuel pump doesn't prime every time you turn the key.

Easy to check, find the "Blue Connector Ground wire fix" in our How to or VTec forum and either do the fix or test it by just exposing the Blue connector under left fairing and grounding the green wire on the FRONT side of the connector to the frame with the key on and if that's the issue it will prime as soon as you ground it. :beer:

The front sub harness was RECALL on the 02-05 VFR's.

BR

I just tried the Green Wire Trick and it didn't work. Any other thoughts as to why the fuel pump wouldn't be getting power?

• Member Contributer

Are you sure the fuel pump isn't getting power? Do you get 12V at the fuel pump (brown connector under the fuel tank) when you first turn the ignition on?

If yes: replace fuel pump.

If no: start tracing backwards.

Brown connector:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/74593-putting-the-2000-vfr-back-on-the-road/?p=888205

There are plenty of threads on the forum going over troubleshooting issues for a fuel pump that won't prime.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/68177-help-fuel-pump-not-priming/?hl=+brown%20+connector

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

Good luck!

Paul

Well, Guys, with your help, I did the Ground By-Pass which long term will solve concerns it sounds like. I checked the power to the pump. I got that working. The pump was stuck. I ordered another one which was supposed to shipped in an Expedited fashion and it was supposed to be here no later than yesterday. Didn't happen. Now its Monday. So last night I took apart the fuel pump, unstuck it. That now works. Giddy Up!. I button everything back up and now the seal/gasket between the fuel pump plate and the tank is leaking. Calgon, Take me Away! Any thoughts? The bike shops around me are closed for the weekend and I'm sure its a part that's not in stock anyways. Is there some type of Caulk that can be used?

That's a common leak after pulling the fuel pump as many of us end up bending that flimsy metal ring part of the tank that seals between the pump and tank.

Just pull the pump again and straighten out all the areas you inadvertently bent and it will seal fine.

After doing it myself the first time I now look closely at the flange every time I pull a pump.

BTW the pump should never really lock unless it's been sitting a very long time w/o a fuel stabilizer and if that's the case you'll need to run some Sea Foam or other strong fuel cleaner.

BR

• 2 years later...

Hi guys.  For future people who come across this thread, here is some valuable info!

I had this problem on my 2003 VTEC last week, FI light always on and no fuel pump prime, no sparks but starting engine cranks. Verified all fuses, switches, wiring... but on my bike it was the HISS antena burned, wich did not allow the system to startup.

Archived