2001 Fork Spring And Oil Question

5string

• Member Contributer
I was referred to a local shop who will change fork oil and seals, as well as install owner supplied springs for $200 (forum discount applied). Much better than the first couple of estimates I received, although those included the new springs.

I will purchase the springs from sonicsprings. Based upon a Wet weight of 525 lbs and rider in gear weight of 208 lbs, it recommends a 95kg spring. Does this sound right? I am mainly commuting with the occasional spirited recreational trip. I will rarely, if ever carry my 130 lb wife.

Should I use 10wt fork oil?

Thanks for any advice you can lend.

I would like to order the fork springs ASAP, so I am depending on yous guys to gimme some quick responses :)

Sorry for duplicate post, first one went in wrong area, not sure how to delete it.

I would say the .95's are good for faster riding, but might just run the .90's for your mostly commuting riding.

I think 7.5w is stock, but can't remember at the moment, I would suggest staying with stock wt oil whatever that is and but better or synthetic oil and add 10cc more oil to each leg.

BR

• Member Contributer

I would say the .95's are good for faster riding, but might just run the .90's for your mostly commuting riding.

I think 7.5w is stock, but can't remember at the moment, I would suggest staying with stock wt oil whatever that is and but better or synthetic oil and add 10cc more oil to each leg.

BR

Thanks BR. I am looking for a plush-firm front end. It currently dips pretty heavily when applying even moderate braking. Feels like a screen door damper on the highway as it is now. The roads around here are pretty decent except for construction spots on the highway (I-15) and a constant "ripple" when on the 215 *bump-bump-bump-smooth-bump-bump-bump.....

• Member Contributer

Part of what you are feeling are the progressive spring rates that the factory uses as opposed to straight rate springs.

I agree with BR, .90 is good for commuting but I would probably go with .95 since you are in Vegas and I know there are at least few high speed sweepers in the area. :cool: Stay with the stock weight oil (but again, as Kevin suggested) switch to a higher quality synthetic oil.

Don't change the oil weight unless you have the valving changed.

• Member Contributer

I weigh 210 without gear. I have .9750 in the front (.95, and 1.0 respectively), and a 1300# spring on the shock. The bike feels great, and I ride a lot of bumpy roads.

Archived