New Owner Of Rough Vf1000R. Parts Questions.

sburns2421

Bought a rough VF1000R this weekend, a bike I have always liked and wanted to get checked off the "bucket bike list"

Currently painted black and down on both sides. This fall and winter a rebuild and repaint will be in order. So in the mean time, educating myself and amassing parts. Engine is the best part. 29,000 miles, starts immediately, doesn't smoke or leak oil. Shifts good, revs out well, clutch feels good. So encouraging news there.

Several questions about parts through.

1) Need to find a windscreen. Aftermarket is fine. I see Twisted Throttle has choices (original, spoiler, touring) in different shades from MRA. They are available in 4-6 weeks. Any other alternatives?

2) Mirrors. The bike is missing front turn signals, this would be a good time to change to integrated mirrors/turn signals, as the mirrors are rashed as well. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking just some rather plain ones from Ebay in black, then fab up adapters. Modern mirrors all seem to mount vertically (to fairing), the Honda has a horizontal mounting. Small right-angle adapter would be fairly easy.

3) Exhaust. The bike still has a rusty OEM exhaust that appears scuffed and beat up, as well as very heavy. Looking online I can't seem to find a full exhaust system designed for the bike, although I would settle for just a slip-on. I see many brands (Yosh & Hindle being the two most common). Obviously they no longer stock exhaust for a bike this old, but what are options? I like the look of the Leo Vince pipes used on ICON's Magificent Basterd show bike. A cheaper alternative would be to use DanMoto GP series. But if someone makes a pipe designed to fit on the bike, that would be great. Anyone?

4) Footpegs/rearsets. I think the footpeg assemblies weigh as much as a new Honda minibike. Does anyone make a set for the VF1000R, or are we stuck fabricating ones to fit?

5) rear seat cowl. One thing missing was the rear seat cowl. Not surprisingly they are NLA from Honda. Does anyone make a replica?

6) Seat upholstery. Does a 1986 seat cover fit a 1985 bike? Mine has a duct tape special covering the original ripped red seat cover. I see Ebay has covers, curious if there were any differences.

Thanks in advance.

post-24149-0-76566300-1370359551.jpgpost-24149-0-18307500-1370359623.jpg

• Member Contributer

Another Screen Option I have found

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Honda_VF1000R_1984-1988_MRA_Motorcycle_Replacement_Standard_Original_Shape_Screens.html

Mirrors are a bit harder, they mount through the faring. 86 and 87 VFR mirrors are the same and look a lot nicer, Some Euro VF1K's had them too.

I bought a used 2 Brothers Exhaust off an ST1300, close but no cigar...need to have a mid pipe made. @ $400 used they weren't cheap but will look good once on

Foot pegs are common to same era CBR's makes life a lot easier there...

Rear Cowl ...

Seat Covers are available on e-bay, 85 and 86 are the same.

Good luck with her!

• Member Contributer

great find...keep this up to date as you bring it back and make the cosmetics as good as it sounds the engine is.

Keep the original exhaust - will ad much value to the bike when you have done it up.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

a quick google search on the cowl part number gave me. If not seen yet, it may be worth a shot....

http://www.motorcyclepartsnetwork.co.uk/inStock/part.asp?gpn=772A1MJ4010ZA&dealer=A.J.Sutton&showSupplier=True

or try this dutch ebay add (marktplaats is owned by ebay)

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/motoren/onderdelen-honda/m675312658-vf1000r-onderdelen.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr

click "email deze adverteerder"

Most if not all dutch people speak english to some degree. :-)

If you get stuck on the language, I can assist.

Archived