Shad Cases For Vfr1200 $499?

Guest VFRider12

Guest VFRider12

Looking for side cases for my VFR and found Shad has the brackets and top rack for my bike, I haven't found any information on this forum about this brand, it looks like Shad makes the OEM cases for BMW and Yamaha.

Reading great reviews in the ST community:

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?122781-Anyone-have-a-SHAD-SH48-Top-Case

My dealer doesn't carry Shad, I called the distributor who is in FL and they have a new mount for the VFR1200 with introductory price at $499 side cases and mounts!!

http://www.shadonline.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=222

Does anyone know about Shad cases? pictures?

I wouldn't trust the mounting bracket on the BMW scooter. Look at how much it shakes, just by opening the topox. I recently purchased a scooter and added a 49 liter coocase with similar mounting bracket as shown on the Youtube video and would shake violently going down the road. Eventually one of the mounting bolt snapped off. To remedy this, I added extra support by having two steel beams mounted to the frame attached to near the tail light.

I also had to beef up my kappa/givi mounting bracket on my vfr1200 as it eventually failed due to metal fatigue after two seasons.

Before purchasing a topbox make sure to check the integrity of the mounting bracket, or make sure to make plans to strenthen it the future.

• 2 years later...

I abused a top box while travelling in Indonesia and had to strengthen it with steel rods.

Note that the abuse was subsequently transferred from the rack to the frame......I cracked the frame.

Bottom line, be careful strengthening the rear rack.........if its bending, it might be trying to tell you to back of the weight, riding style and/or road surface.

I bought a Shad topcase for my VFR1200. It was sharp looking and went really well with the look of the bike. I was showing it to my wife who was giving me the evil eye for buying "another toy for that damned bike". As I was showing her the locking mechanism, it popped open without the key.

Hmmm.

So I unlock it, close it and double check that I did it properly. Then I promptly pulled it open with very little effort. I seriously doubt that it would have lasted 10 minutes on the bike of the bike before opening. Customer service said I was exaggerating, seriously.. "Sir, you must be exaggerating somewhat. It just isn't possible for it to do that."

So I made a video:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ymIckSYcXjY

Now it is totally in the realm of possibility that I just got a bad one. But the whole experience just left me not too impressed with Shad as a whole.

Archived