Oem Black Chrome Exhaust

tomk1960

• Member Contributer

Does anyone have a OEM exhaust off their Interceptor that's solid, but needs refinishing? I'd like to experiment and try refinishing a pair of exhaust cannisters by powder coating them with a nice black chrome finish that I've been using on smaller parts. I doubt the cannisters come anywhere close to 400 degrees, so my powder should hold up just fine. I'll do a pair at my cost plus shipping, provided that you go into this knowing that your exhaust is a guinea pig. The metal will be media blasted bare and washed prior to powder application, then shot with a base coat of chrome followed by a topcoat of black chrome. This is what my finish looks like on a CB1100F tank latch:

TankLatch_BlackChromeandRedLetters1_zpsf

PM me if you'd like to discuss. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I've been riding my '83 1100F and '82 900F with powder coated valve covers for 3 years with no ill effects. I think the exhaust cannisters have a good chance of holding up, but as I indicated, this is an experiment. I don't have a set that I can try this on, so it would be great to find someone who does.

I'm not even sure that the black chrome that was used on the Honda exhausts was an actual plating. It blasts off with very little effort as compared to actual chrome.

Archived