If You Have One Of Ken's Solo Racks And The Oem Topcase....

WGREGT

...then I need your help figuring out how to attach the OEM topcase "pad" to Ken's solo rack.

I'd love some good fotos of what you got. Did you have to drill more holes in the solo rack?

I recently got one of these solo racks from Ken. Also bought the OEM rack. Trying to figure out how to use/mount Ken's solo rack. Ken told me how to mount the rack to the bike. That part I think I got.

I need some advice on mounting the Honda OEM "pad" to the rack.

It's drilled for the OEM topcase "pad" says Ken. And it looks to me that 4 of the holes do indeed line up with the bolts from the "pad". But, my bolts aren't straight. And the pad hits two of the bolts at the top, nearest the front of the bike.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

(From Ken on mounting the rack to the bike. This sounds easy.)

"Grab handles on bike then remove the grab handle bolts set rack on handles - use the spacers under the rack if you don't want the rack touching the grab handles an install the bolts I sent. It's a bit awkward but it's not tough."

What I have questions about is how to connect the Honda plastic "pad" that was on the OEM rack (I separated the pad from the tubular portion of the OEM rack) to Ken's rack. Right now I just took off the 4 bolts and nuts that run THRU the OEM tubular portion, and I see that they line up nicely with Ken's rack, but it seems the bolts are too long and only have thread on half the bolt, so it doesn't really get tight.

Did you reuse the Honda bolts, or do I need to go buy new ones?

Also, the Honda plastic pad is tapered on one end a bit. Right now I have that end pointing to the back of the bike when mounted....is this correct?

Here are a few fotos to show what I'm talking about. See how the two bolts & nuts from the Honda pad keep the pad from lying flat on the solo rack? Should it lie flat? The ones I'm talking about are the two closest to the front of the bike if this were mounted.

post-8118-0-69409200-1367185782.jpg post-8118-0-91380000-1367185856.jpg post-8118-0-59135400-1367185805.jpg post-8118-0-21059600-1367185864.jpg post-8118-0-91228200-1367185870.jpg post-8118-0-68148300-1367185876.jpg post-8118-0-03220400-1367185886.jpg post-8118-0-20946000-1367185893.jpg

After looking at this long & hard again, did any of you have to cut/drill 2 semi-circular cutouts (about as big as half a US quarter?) in the corners closest to the front of the bike (as shown above where the two nuts touch the rack) in order to get the OEM pad to lay flat?

Best I can see, that's what I'm gonna have to do. Either that, or do without those bolts/nuts that hold the OEM pad parts together at the front. Thing is, if those 2 bolts are gone, the part of the rack that is closest to the front of the bike will lift up when I remove the topcase, and rattle when moving.

Damn. And this thing is powercoated all nice, and here I'm about to have to cut into it?

Anyone got any other ideas if you have this setup?

OR OR OR....can I just get rid of the middle flat metal plate (shown above in the middle) and just attach Ken's rack directly to the plastic OEM "milk crate?" Anyone done this?

Desperate for some fotos/insights from those that have this setup...

Naaaahhhh....removing the middle plate won't work. The fotos above show that the bolts run thru it, and won't hold the OEM plastic milk crate on.

Problem solved! Got some pics of how it goes together. Here they are in case anyone else needs them. There are 4 small spacers that raise the rack up. Can't tell you how glad I am to see this! Hot damn! Thanks for tracking down some fotos, Ken!

post-8118-0-66099800-1367380914.jpgpost-8118-0-09611400-1367380921.jpgpost-8118-0-36424300-1367380907.jpgpost-8118-0-49134500-1367380927.jpg

• 2 years later...

I'm facing some problems with my solo rack and my OEM topcase too.

I got the solo rack from Ken and I got an OEM topcase. Included with the topcase was the OEM plastic pad (top box carrier, part number: 08L42-MY5-800).

I tried to mount the top box carrier to the solo rack, but I couldn't. It seems only 2 of the holes on the solo rack line up with the top box carrier.

I also see in these photos a metal plate that goes between the solo rack and the top box carrier. Maybe I lost it? But that seems unlikely, I don't even see it in the parts list for the top box carrier. What is it anyway? Do I have to order it separately?? And... do I really need it, or could I possibly just attach the plastic carrier directly to the solo rack?

:unsure:

WIth the OEM Topbox - there should be a plate included - and to your comment - I think you've lost yours - or maybe you were never sold one??

Looks like I was never sold one.

A second look at the instructions that came with the top box carrier (which I was told by the seller that fits VFR800) revealed the following:

"Applicable model: XL1000V" :wacko:

It actually fits a Varadero!! :mad:

Anyway, doesn't look like there was too much harm done... I think I will just drill 1 or 2 more holes in the rack and move on.

Unless of course anyone has any better ideas.

Archived