Squealing/chirping Noise From Tbw Unit

Dobs

Guys,

I recently noticed quite a loud electronic squealing noise (sounds like a camera flash gun charging) coming from under the tank when the ignition is switched on without the engine running. This is after the initial priming of the fuel rails. While I had the tank off for other work, I tracked down the noise to the throttle by wire unit attached to the throttle bodies. The noise varies with throttle position.

I'm wondering if my TBW unit is faulty. I can't remember hearing this before. Is this normal?

G.

Encrypted Skynet protocol. Once you VFR1200 begins communicating with the dark side of the Moon, it will become self-aware in less than 72 days and transform into a nasty Decepticon and destroy earth as we know it. The fate of mankind rests on your shoulder, soldier. Go at once and wrap aluminum foil around the entire bike. If comms fail repeatedly during this gestation period, the VFR1200 will revert back to a benign dormant state for 7yrs, before attempting broadcast again. Sell the bike by then, and you'd be good.

• Member Contributer

Volfy's close to the mark...

Mine does it too, like a camera flash pulsing. Never have had any issue with it, done it since day one.

J/K of course. Mine does that from day 1. OP probably just hasn't noticed it till lately. It is definitely engine control related. The noise goes away when you hit the engine kill switch. I do that sometimes when I need to turn the bike ON but I am not ready to start the engine, like when I am resetting the clock.

A lot of late model bike make similar electronic noises.

Archived