5Th Gen Heli Bar Install Question...

Higgin

Question

Ok, so I'm halfway into my heli bar install on my 98. In the directions from helibar, it says that the throttle cables must be rerouted behind the fork tubes and that the easiest way to do this is to remove the "top triple clamp". I assume this is the whole piece that clamps in each fork tube and has a large nut in the center? My question is, is this actually the easiest way?? I've never pulled the top triple clamp, and turns out I dont even own a socket large enough for it. So just wondering if there is another way before I run to the store, or if this actually is the best way. Any suggestions welcome. I have a torque wrench, so retorquing to the correct torque is not an issue, as i assume it is very important to get that large nut to the right torque.

Btw- anyone know off the top of their heads what size that large nut actually is? Looks to me like a 26mm, but I dont think it says in the service manual anywhere that i can see

7 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

FWIW my throttle cables run around the front of the fork tube. I know I didn't take off the top triple tree cover when i did mine.

If you could, that would be great. I went ahead and installed them without re-routing the cables since I didn't have a socket large enough, and the throttle definatly does not return to idle as easily when at full right lock. It does return, but much slower than if the bars are pointed straight ahead. So I guess I'm going to have to pull the helis back off and re-route the throttle cables the way it said to do it. Blah. So just to clearify, its ok the remove the top triple tree cover with the bike just sitting on the center stand? I cant really find a definite answer in the manual. I've never removed it before....just a little paranoid.

• Member Contributer

A 29 mm is a touch too small and a 32 mm is too big, so I measured with dial calipers and it measured 30mm. Here's what mine looks like: Helibars1_zps7873635a.jpgHelibars2_zps32bfa7a9.jpg

Hope that helps. And yes, you can pull the triple tree cover off without messing up any adjustments of the steering head bearings.

Sure, I just got back from dinner with long-lost relatives, so I'm free this evening to change my much-ignored chain/sprockets.

To clarify, you are talking about the nut on top of each fork leg?

I'll measure it, but just my minimal brain power doesn't see how taking that part off helps re-route the cables. I would have thought disconnecting the wiring/cabling, and running it where it needs to go would be easier. Mind you I've never messed with fully disconnecting cables on bikes this fancy, only bikes from the 70's/80's.

Thanks fj12ryder, thats what I was looking for. I guess I'll try to play around with it a little more tonight and see if I can find a littl emore slack somewhere....if not, back off it goes with the top triple cover to reroute :wacko:

Archived