New Chain Question

Audigier

Hello, some may remember, some may not know of my case.

I changed my chain because it had tight spots, kept the sprockets as they were in good shape it supposed to be a new set installed by the PO and I'm sure i damaged the chain overtightening it too much.

Well I installed the new chain and rode it 600 km, checked tightness and it felt ok probably tight so I loosened it a bit, just a lil bit, cleaned and lubed.

Rode another 700 km and checked it, no adjustment needed, cleaned and lubed, rode 1400 km ( way back on a long trip and I was really tired to check it and had no time. When i got home chain was ok no adjustment needed, felt just like the way I adjusted it before.

So my question is. Is it normal that the chain did not stretched in a 2600 + - km long ride? Only highway speeds (130-150 kmh).

As soon as I rest my back and azz ill wash the bike and clean and lube the chain,

well they are "pre-stretched" but that is a good sign that the chain hasn't stretched, when it stretches then you know it is toward the end of its life. When you have to re-adjust over and over then you know the chain is at the end of its life

GAH! Stop saying stretched. Chains do not stretch, they wear. :offtopic:

Anyway... a good chain and sprocket setup shouldn't need a lot of adjusting once they have been "broken in". Just keep checking the slack before every ride, like you should be doing anyway :wink: , keep the chain lubed, and you should be golden.

Anyway... a good chain and sprocket setup shouldn't need a lot of adjusting once they have been "broken in". Just keep checking the slack before every ride, like you should be doing anyway :wink: , keep the chain lubed, and you should be golden.

Well if you want to get REALLY specific the chain does stretch. If you are looking at the all of the links and pins as the chain, which we are all doing, then the chain does stretch. Yes the only changes that occur are that the pins wear and play back and forth, allowing the chain as a whole to become longer or shorter. So as a whole the chain stretches to a length that was longer then before :) I wasn't implying that the actual links stretch in length, only that the chain becomes longer as it wears out.

• Member Contributer

Well if you want to get REALLY specific the chain does stretch. If you are looking at the all of the links and pins as the chain, which we are all doing, then the chain does stretch. Yes the only changes that occur are that the pins wear and play back and forth, allowing the chain as a whole to become longer or shorter. So as a whole the chain stretches to a length that was longer then before :) I wasn't implying that the actual links stretch in length, only that the chain becomes longer as it wears out.

+1 Usually right after you first install them.

Archived