2850Km 6 Days 2 Vfr= Fun Pics

:wheel:

It was not all clear sailing.

Travelling at around 80kmh, just 300km into the trip, some where around Wards River on the Bucketts Way the right side mirror fell from the bike onto the road. (after market Chinese import.)

We came to a stop and a fellow motorist who had also stopped retrieved it for me. (nice car driver :mellow: )
I had expected it would be shattered, but upon getting it back in my hand I saw that it was scratched but not broken. (aside from the broken pin)

Let me just describe the set up.

There is a mounting pin that hold the arm of the mirror to a bracket that is bolted onto the bike.
It was this pin that snapped.

In respect to the design.
I believe it is in fact a deliberate designed weak point. In the event of the bike going down, the pin will break and the mirror falls away rather than pushing on it and that pressure cracking the top faring. (headlight surround) On reflection, if this happened, even if you then had to buy the original Honda mirrors, that would be cheaper than repairing this faring. So the design its self gets a thumbs up.

Back to the trip.
In Armidale (235km later) a quick visit to the hardware store and a few dollars spent the mirror was back in place. The original design of that pin has its flaws in that at high speed on bumpy country roads the mirrors soon start to move around. Yet with the bolt in place, a side of the road repair, the mirror did not move for the rest of the remaining 2,300km.

Following are some pics,

1) the mount and

2) the repaired mirror.

post-21555-0-27426800-1364808589.jpg

post-21555-0-16466000-1364808871.jpg

• Member Contributer

Oh no nobody hurt ? It look like a slow low side when I first seen the pic but just a loose mirror falling, probally from all of the gravel roads.

Archived