Water Dripping From Exhaust?

DirtyRyda

I just installed a Delkevic high mount exhaust, and there is water dripping from the front end of the canister. Has anyone experienced this? I've seen water dripping from car exhausts but never a motorcycle. Also the canister obviously isn't sealed very well at the end caps.

For what it's worth, it has been sitting for a month or so.

There is always condensation from combustion. If the can isn't hot enough to keep it as steam you will get water in the cans. This is one reason people always tell others not to start a bike unless you are going to get it to operating temp. Keeping water in exhaust will cause rust

Took it for about a 6 mile ride. It does sound beautiful now. And it's chilly here in Indiana! The engine temp got up to 197f. When I got back to the garage it still had water coming from the canister.

• Forum CEO

Definitely water?

Yes it is definitely water, its a byproduct of combustion as said in the above reply! Once the engine heats up enough the water turns to vapor and you dont notice it, thats why its best to always completely warm up the bike once in awhile so that condensation does not form inside the engine and mix with the oil, boil it off by warming up the motor completely to operating temperature once in a while if you just taking short trips for the most part. I drive my car only 2 miles to work and it barely gets warmed up by the time I get there and shut it down, so I let it warm up first before taking off, unless I am late or something. My bike sits for months in the winter cause I just dont trust the ice and snow even on warm days, and the bike is way too nice to risk it. I take it out of the bike shed and let it run on the driveway for a while till the temp display is up to temp and its running nice. Then I shut it off, gets oil circulated, burns off moisture, clears out the fuel system, and charges up the battery all at the same time.

Engine warm-up is elaborate for OCD 1st Gen owners such as myself. I don't like to let the engine idle at low RPM because of low oil pressure to the top end. So, warm-up is a hands-on interactive process for my VF750F and me.

Definitely water?

Yes it is definitely water, its a byproduct of combustion as said in the above reply!

I know that, but the reason I ask as over here in the UK you wouldn't expect to continue seeing condensation as a fluid after a 6 mile run.

Archived