It's Time To Replace The Sprockets And Chain. I Have A Few Questions.

2FAST4U

• Member Contributer

It's time to replace the sprockets and chain. I'm replacing the sprockets with genuine Honda OEM parts. As for the chain, I'm going aftermarket.

When I replace the front sprocket, should I replace the oil seal, too? It's part #36 in the following schematic:

VFR800frontsprocket_zps0a80eff4.jpg

As for the chain, I'm going with DID. From what I can tell, these are my choices:

1) 530S Standard - I've ruled this one out because it's an economy chain with non-sealing rings.

2) 530VX Vector Supreme sealed - An O-ring chain for engines displacing up to 900 cc's.

3) 530VM Premium sealed/gold - An X-ring chain for engines diplacing up to 1000 cc's. I've ruled this one out because I don't want gold outer plates (I want black or silver).

4) 530ZVM2 Superbike series - An X-ring chain for engines displacing up to 1300 cc's. This strikes me as a chain designed for race replicas, Busas, etc.

I'm thinking about going with the 530VX Vector Supreme sealed (option 2). Is this a good chain to get for OEM sprockets? If so, what size should I get? I can get anywhere from 108 to 120 links.

I welcome all comments.

P.S. I maintain my chains properly. I replaced the original at 24k miles and I've got 26k on my current one.

THe VM is the best bang for the buck, if you can get one(discontinued)(but you dont like gold). The vx line is an economy line, smaller than the vm.

For me there are only two choices the VM or the ZVM

unless the seal starts leaking dont worry about it.

• Member Contributer

Nope. Not unless there's a problem with it.

Aram

When I replace the front sprocket, should I replace the oil seal, too?

Archived