Valves - Need Adjusting?

Yokel

7th Gen Valve Maintenance  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Did you need to do any adjustments to your valves at the 16k mile service?

• Yup. 1-2 out of specification or a minor needless tweak done.
    • Yes. 3-4 valves out of specification or a moderate adjustment needed.
    • Ugh, yes... and Unicam heads are the devil. 5+ valves tweaked or major adjustments needed.
    • Nope, All is well in the world.
    • I've been too lazy or cheap to check.

• Member Contributer

Please see the Poll.

Curious as to those of you who have done the 16k service on your GEN 7... how are the valves doing?

Comments welcome!

I wanted to mention. I have a good friend that is a mechanic for Honda.

He tells me, that of all the vfr 800 series valves he has checked, he has not found any out of spec!

He thinks he's checked maybe 40 or 50 bikes in the last 6 years.

He has only checked 2 of the 1200's so far, and both ok. He was not able to give me the mileage on those bikes.

I wanted to mention. I have a good friend that is a mechanic for Honda.

He tells me, that of all the vfr 800 series valves he has checked, he has not found any out of spec!

He thinks he's checked maybe 40 or 50 bikes in the last 6 years.

He has only checked 2 of the 1200's so far, and both ok. He was not able to give me the mileage on those bikes.

Thanx for posting the info. Please post up if you hear more about the 1200's.

• Member Contributer

Guess not as many as I had hoped have done this yet. I am with you, Gloryracing. Really curious what I will find this spring when I dig in to it.

• Member Contributer

A few of mine needed adjusting on the first service. I'm just doing the second service now. The valves in the rear cylinders are all within spec but they did tighten up and I'll likely have to shim some next time. I haven't gotten to the front ones yet.

Edit: the front cylinders are also still within spec, although they all did move a bit.

I currently have around 75,000KM, and haven't checked them yet. It's not that I don't want to, but the Honda dealer said it's not really necessary, hopefully I can get them to check them this fall when I will roll over 100,000KM.

The bike runs good as new and haven't changed the spark plugs either.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly what petey said.

I brought my 2010 into the dealer for a different issue at 14k miles and all the exhaust valves are tight.

They're charging me $200 to do the service, which is roughly 50% off, since they are already in there for the other item (cam chain tensioner replacement)

Archived