Corbin Smuggler Seat And Rear Truck

Guest vfrsteve

Guest vfrsteve

Just installed my new Corbin Smuggler seat are rear truck. THe trunk does not hold much, but enought for casual riding and place to lock my GPS, sun glasses, etc. I think it reallt smooths out the lines of the bike giving a little height in back. By the way, Im sell the new Akrapovics as need to buy the lower mount due to adding the OEM saddlebags. $750. or best offer.

post-25706-0-48498700-1360873880.jpg

• Member Contributer

So do you need the Corbin Seat for the trunk to work? Does Corbin make the trunk or someone else?

Ok just went to Corbin site - I understand now - they come together.

When l heard that was coming out l had high hopes... Until l saw it.... Not my cup of tea. I may be vein, but l will usually take appearance over function on this type of mod. Having that bit of storage space every day sure must be nice tho!

It doesn't look that bad to me. Only thing I'll have reservation about is that it appears to require removal of the grab handles and precludes the possibility of other accessories like a top rack and aftermarket panniers. Corbin has other smugglers (for C14, etc.) that are more functional in that regard.

It doesn't look that bad to me. Only thing I'll have reservation about is that it appears to require removal of the grab handles and precludes the possibility of other accessories like a top rack and aftermarket panniers. Corbin has other smugglers (for C14, etc.) that are more functional in that regard.

I do think it looks good, but I am disappointed in this as well since I have the factory top box/mounts. Don't want to lose that for a seat.

I do think it looks good, but I am disappointed in this as well since I have the factory top box/mounts. Don't want to lose that for a seat.

I don't have this Smuggler, but I do have a Corbin Dual Tour w/backrest for my 1200. It was at the wife's insistence. That said, I ride a good deal on the stock seat, and put on the Corbin for long days, and when two-up (obviously)

I would think you could use this seat in much the same way. While tooling around, it'd be a great way to carry your essentials. If you're touring, off it comes, and the hard cases go on.

If this was less money, I'd consider it. A web search will show you pics of one with a painted black center stripe. I believe Corbin will do it that way, if ordered. For me, it changes the entire ascetics of the seat. I'd definitely go that route.

I don't have this Smuggler, but I do have a Corbin Dual Tour w/backrest for my 1200. It was at the wife's insistence. That said, I ride a good deal on the stock seat, and put on the Corbin for long days, and when two-up (obviously)

I would think you could use this seat in much the same way. While tooling around, it'd be a great way to carry your essentials. If you're touring, off it comes, and the hard cases go on.

If this was less money, I'd consider it. A web search will show you pics of one with a painted black center stripe. I believe Corbin will do it that way, if ordered. For me, it changes the entire ascetics of the seat. I'd definitely go that route.

I think you make some great points, my issue's going to be if I'm going to spend that kind of money for a seat, I want to tour with it.

With that said, I do think you make a very valid point!

I just looked up Corbin's prices. The Smuggler option is about $320 over the "standard" gun fighter seat. That's about how much I paid for the Givi E55. I would think the Smuggler is really only good for carrying gloves and other little nicknacks around town. Or... as a small lockable storage (instead of, say, a tankbag) to augment the factory panniers.

I'm glad Corbin offers it for those who do find it useful. It would have been a lot better if they had done it simialr to the C14:

c14door_2t.jpg

For me, 95% of the time, I ride my street bikes with a top case. The panniers go on when I tour or when I need extra luggage space around town. i just like plenty of storage space.

I think you make some great points, my issue's going to be if I'm going to spend that kind of money for a seat, I want to tour with it.

With that said, I do think you make a very valid point!

Thanks for the positive comments. I should add to my earlier post. I also use the panniers, on occasion. I don't own the topcase. The Corbin Dual Tour with backrest goes on with panniers attached, no issue. Grab rails stay on, etc. The only difference, for me, is purely cosmetic.

The lines of the bike change dramatically, imho, when you add that backrest to the seat! Yeah, it comes off, but is a small chore to do so, and I get tired of messing with the small set screw (I use red loc-tite or it vibrates loose, over time) Like I said, the backrest is for the wife.

It's simpler for me to just throw the stock seat on for around town. Looks good, and feels just fine. The Corbin is comfortable, so I have that option if I choose.

I have not verified with Corbin, or any Smuggler seat owners if the top case and panniers can be used with the Smuggler. I would think a call to their CS would get that answered.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive ridden with the Smuggler about 100 miles and can tell you, It sucks!. It puts me back about 3" and hard to reach the Helibars. Im 5/10". The seat has a very deep pocket that tilts your butt back with your knees up. Ive got it at HT Moto getting it reformed and a nicer cover that does not look so much like a cruiser. No nock on Harley but I think the person that designed it was more into HD style cruiser riding. The only thing worse than the seat is Corbins customer service. Anyone interested in my near new Akrapovic exhaust?

• Member Contributer

Ive ridden with the Smuggler about 100 miles and can tell you, It sucks!. It puts me back about 3" and hard to reach the Helibars. Im 5/10". The seat has a very deep pocket that tilts your butt back with your knees up. Ive got it at HT Moto getting it reformed and a nicer cover that does not look so much like a cruiser. No nock on Harley but I think the person that designed it was more into HD style cruiser riding. The only thing worse than the seat is Corbins customer service. Anyone interested in my near new Akrapovic exhaust?

Put up your exhaust in the classifeds if you are really offering to sell it. Otherwise this post is in the wrong place...

Good luck with your seat recontouring.

After only 100 miles, Im very disappointed. Im 5/10" and the seat put me back over 3" and cannot comfortable reach my Helibars. The seat also has a deep pocket that tilts you butt forcing your knees up. Its like a farm tractor seat. I took it to HT Moto to reshape it to remove the dish somewhat and move me more forward close to the stock seat. I also find the cover a bit odd looking for my taste, kind of cruiser style. THe only thing worse than the seat is Corbins customer service. By the way Im selling the near new Akrapovic exhaust as need to get the low mount to work with saddlebags (it they ever come off backorder)

• 4 weeks later...

Ya' know... I'm glad all this conversation went on without me. I felt that the first time I posted about the Corbin products, I got blasted.<br /><br />Still lovin' my Smuggler prototype. Don't want a huge top-box sticking up like an AWACs radar unit.

Typically, rides are polarized on Corbin. You either love the product, or you hate the company.

You are right about the AWACS radar. Just recently I was with some friends that rode big HD baggers. We pulled up to this hotel they are staying at, and one guy (obviously a non-bike person) instantly recognized the Harleys but had trouble identifying my ride (VFR1200 with matching red Givi V46 top box). He asked, "Is that a motorcycle or scooter?" I just laughed and tell him it's a cute little 1200cc motorcycle.

For me though, I will probably never buy another street motorcycle that does not provisions for adding hard bags. Ugly or not, it's just too darn convenient and useful.

Archived