I Guess I Jinxed Myself From Yesterday...

Guest ArizonaRC36

Guest ArizonaRC36

Maybe someone can shed some light in narrowing down what the heck just happened this morning.
Before this morning... bike fired up without issue like any other time. I do an oil change (and it fired up fine this morning for the warm up ride) and after oil is back in and everything buttoned up... I press the starter button. It's cranking and cranking, but not firing up. I let it rest 30 seconds. Depress the starter button and same thing, but while cranking... I just barely start opening the throttle and the bike goes from cranking, to kinda loud noise and the starter motor whiiiirrrrrsss away.
A few months back, I had replaced the starter gear clutch assembly (since it was cracked in two places and the ring with the timing nubs was warped a hair from it. New one went in... BUT, not those rollers and springs and stuff, those were original ones I put back in to the new starter clutch assembly. Starter motor is the original one. 40K on the bike now. Could it be the starter motor now?

If the starter motor spins, it would seem it's not the problem. Maybe some of those rollers and springs and stuff?

Sounds like some disassembly will be required. :dry:

• Member Contributer

Cranking but not starting the engine. If you have a factory shop manual, it will have a trouble shooting section that will be very useful to you. If you changed the starter clutch gear assembly then you know you have to tear into that again unless the trouble shooting section uncovers an obvious problem elsewhere. One thing I do know is that excessive use of the starter can burn it or the starter solenoid up as well as wear down the battery. Good luck. I've never actually experienced your problem so just suggesting where I'd go with it. Good luck.

Hey guys, thanks for those inputs.
Got the clutch cover off... inspected everything closely and didn't find any "damage" to sorta speak. I did pull the starter motor and was in very good condition and no signs of damage or failure. Soooooo, carefully removed the starter clutch assembly. Thankfully this new one wasn't cracked or damaged, but the rollers (used ones put back in) were badly worn and two of the three metal nubs were worn pretty well. I don't have a pre type measurement of the springs, but I imagine they are not in specs either. So, ordered me a starter clutch repair kit.

This bike was a smoking deal when I bought... but damn, a bike that sat for 10 years... will nickle and dime you till everything is replaced! :D

Sounds like you found the problem and can deal with it.

Nickel, dime, what you gonna do?

How about, be glad you're not paying a shop $80/Hr for labor. :goofy:

Good luck. :cool:

Archived