200/50/17 Tires Anyone?

budguy207

Anyone tried a 200/50/17 reae tire? Seems to be easier to find combo deal for a 200/50 and 120/70 set than it is for a 190/55 etc, and 200/50 should be 100mm tall vs 104.5mm for a 190/55 so its close, better than the 95mm from a 190/55 anyway, as long as the 5mm additional width on each side clear parts anyone else see a prob? Not trying to be a cheapskate it just opens up tire options.

Plus the larger tire will be heavier. May not be much, but the added weight is at the outer most perimeter of the rotating wheel/tire, which is the worst place to have added weight and rotational inertia.

If you just like the looks of a fatter rear tire (nothing wrong with that), then no big deal, go for it. Otherwise, 190/55 is plenty available.

• Forum CEO

I have been seeing 190/50 everywhere much easier to source then 190/55 too, I think it depends on the tire since well the 190/55 Dunlop that came on the bike oem is way way shallow compared to the 190/55 Michelin I have on it now, not sure how they measure it by the radial or by the rubber profile? a 120/50 should be close to the same overall hieght just less sidewall so perhaps less flex and less feel to the road in a like model just more rubber and taller profile on the crown so it might even steer quicker, 120 bigger crown, 50 smaller sidewall = more curve to the tire, might just wear out the center of the tire quicker.

Archived