New Gear For Socal Riding (Stich Vs. Motoport)

Stucky

• Member Contributer

In reading your posts I am somewhat surprised you chose to go with black on black that does absolutely nothing to increase your visibility. I would at least add the Hi-viz ballitstics...

I am thinking about your using this as a communting suit that is to keep you as safe as possible in traffic.

I'm not one for flashy colors. To be honest, if people don't see the headlight, I doubt they'll see yellow fabric. I realize I'm in the minority on this issue, but the reflective panels are enough for me.

I had similar debate last summer and ended up going with the Roadcrafter Light. It doesn't have all the liner material in it that my cousin's original Roadcrafter does so I end up being a little cooler than him when we're on trips in eastern Washington/Oregon. But we both roast when stuck in traffic.

Rain protection has been great. 3 hour rides between Seattle and Vancouver in the rain haven't resulted in any leakage or wet crotch.

The suit was a bit less expensive than the original Roadcrafter but it was still around $800. But being able to ride to and from work comfortably in any weather with full protection has been worth the cost. And adding a few months to the BC riding season is priceless.

I don't think the Light version is made in the US but I've found that the build quality is just as good.

I got the hi-vis panels on my suit. I'll take anything that adds to my chances of bring seen.

• Member Contributer

When I bought my Roadcrafter I went through the whole "which color" deal. I absolutely did not want black. Black attracts the sun, and in the heat, well no thanks. I also didn't want to look like Ronald McDonald with full yellow. I decided on the traditional grey after reading how most of the colors fade. At the end of the day how I looked was the least important, and due to the cost (My suit was close to a grand with all the alterations) long term use was the most important. Aerostitch advised grey also for longevity so that is what I went with. Like many have suggested.....I wash mine once or twice a year and apply scotchguard after. It's been 13 years now and my suit looks close to brand new after a wash.

I do not commute on the bikes so the Stitch has always been my winter suit (with a layer added), autumn, and early spring suit for twisty riding. I live in TX, our summers are hot, and I prefer my 1 or 2 piece Alpinestars suits from April until October.

I regularly ride in 100 degree heat with high humidity. When the weather is like that any gear is hot, doesn't matter what it is, so perfed leather is really the only option I would think of in such conditions.

Archived