Mileage / Maintenance Relationships - 6Th Gen

Africord

• Member Contributer

I hit the 41,000 mile mark this year on my 2002, and am contemplating the following maintenence:

1. Fork Service.

2. Head Bearing Replacement

3. Starter Valve Sync

4. Swingarm maintenance

Valves were checked at 30,000 miles. Brake pads have about 7,000 miles on them. I have had the bike for 20,000 miles and have not carried out any of the above listed maintenance items during my tenure as the bikes owner (I'm number 3). Am I overkilling it, or leaving something important out?

• Member Contributer

Definitely do the fork oil and seals. Having to personally deal with a frozen swingarm spacer, I recommend removing the swingarm and lubing the pivot shaft and spacers with copper grease. Also re-pack the swingarm bearings and re-pack the hub bearings for the rear wheel. Good preventative maintenance!

Head bearings you can inspect easily (bike on centrestand, front wheel in the air, move steering from lock to look while feeling for tight or rough spots), and generally will also be able to feel when they're stuffed while riding.

+1 on Kaldek's comments.

starter valve sync is relatively quick and easy and will most likely provide an improvent.. if they're out of sync, which will show up on the manometer once u hook it up. If in order, button up and ride on. If not, sync up, button up and ditto!

Enviado desde mi GT-S5830i usando Tapatalk 2

Archived