• Member Contributer

Why is the 2012 gearing so short? 1st gear won't even reach 60, and the reported top end is limited to around 157. My 2005 FZ1 will almost hit 70 in 1st. One bike is a 6 speed (vfr) one is a 5 (fz). I'm no expert, but with the horsepower and torque, the VFR should easily pull a taller 1st gear and top end. Any thoughts on the subject, or any method of taller gearing would be great.

Honda decided on the gear ratios and the top speed limiter. Oviously they didn't think doing 60 in first gear was a priority, nor was going over their chosen top speed limit. There are many other bikes to choose from that will offer taller 1st gears and much higher top speeds.

You could rework the tranny with altered ratio gear sets, that would be the only way to alter the gearing. It would probably be cheaper to just buy a 2012 R1 for the times when you want that kind of performance.

• Member Contributer

I don't think it's a matter of performance, shorter gearing = more wear and tear, lower gas mileage, more vibrations, and less economy. Just a thought.

I've always found that first was too short as well. I can get the bike moving from a stop in first or second without touching the throttle.

I suspect the short first gear is for a fully loaded 2-up touring ride, getting away from a stop smoothly with lots of weight on the bike.

Archived