Common Place To Look For Leakage?

Mig

I've got a 96 VFR with 140,000KM on it. Runs great but is leaking a small amount of coolant and oil.

The oil appears to be leaking on the left side near the gear shifter but I can't seem to find it. Also seems to continue to leak when the bike is parked on centerstand. Don't know where the antifreeze is leaking from but I can smell it after a ride and have to top it up every now and then.

Is there a common place I should look for leaks on this bike?

There are connecting pipes for the cooling system between the two cylinder banks. Sometimes the hose dries up and shrinks enought that the hose clamps get loose and coolant would start to drip at the ends of the hoses. It's a very common problem on VFRs so it will be a good thing to check. If the hoses still look/feel good, it might only take a few twists of the clamp tightening screws to get rid of the coolant leaks for good....and while you are at it, just go ahead and check all the other coolant hoses and clamps around the engine if they need replacing or tightening.

As for the oil leak, there's a possibility that it might be coming from the seal at the cases where the shifter shaft comes out. Not sure how much disassembly is required to get at it and change it if you have to, but hopefully, it does not involve having to split the cases.

People also sometimes mistake built up chain lube dripping from the sprocket area as an oil leak. Hopefully that is just what is happening to your bike.

Beck

95 VFR

Not sure about the oil, but my 94 started leaking coolant from the t-stat. It would collect in the center of the V, so I never noticed it until it got bad enough to spill over the side while parked. I also had one of the small rubber hoses connected to the t-stat spring a pin-hole leak. When I replaced the t-stat gasket (which was completely flat) I also replaced the o-rings on the cross-over pipe. They also showed signs of drying and cracking.

Paul in SoCal

Archived