PGM-FI light????

Yesterday, while riding home, my PGM-FI light came on and remained on for last 12 miles home. Bike seemed to run fine. I got home, put the kickstand down in neutral and the light became intermittent (on for a bit, then off, on again, off, etc.). Shut it down, pulled out key, restarted and no light. Have not ridden it since due to a bad head/chest cold. My mods that may affect this are PwrCmndr V, LeoVince slip on (no valve, but removed cable in correct position), and Bazzaz Z-bomb. The last thing I added was the Z-bomb last winter (1500+ miles ago) without issue. I looked to see if there may be a short inline with my mods. Nothing noteworthy.

Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue such as this. Thanks.

Ride safe.

MIL are (Honda) flash trouble codes.

The ECM ( PGM FI) is equiped with self-diagnostic system and when a problem occurs the MIL starts to blink.

These codes are known as DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes)

The advantage of MIL is that you don't need special tools to analyse the problem. You can read it from your dash.

When my 1200F did that 2 months after buying it in 2010, the dealer did not believe me and it took 13 failures that got worse each time until they gave me a new ECU under warranty 11 months later.

It might be the O2 Optimizers that were installed together with PowerCommander. It has happened the you get a fault code after hard running. It normally disappears when you turn the key off and on.

It might be the O2 Optimizers that were installed together with PowerCommander. It has happened the you get a fault code after hard running. It normally disappears when you turn the key off and on.

Check if there is a firmware update in your PC-v possible. To upgrade the firmware first upgrade the powercommander sw on your pc, after you did thet you have the possibility to upgrade the firmware to the latest version. ( there was a dropped cilinder issue solved in the latest firmware. )

The firmware update is in 2 steps. first the boatlader is upgraded then the firmware of the PC-V.

So it is nessesary to try several times to upgrade before you are done. Backup you maps first.

OK, first thanks. This is a great web board.

I was hard on the gas when the light came on and the bike wasn't completely warmed up. Something I rarely do. I have not updated my firmware on my PC. When I said it "seemed to run fine," it did seem slightly off but I couldn't put my finger on it. Dropping a cylinder on a high horsepower bike when you are now backing off the throttle is less noticeable than on my 800cc v-twin Ducati. The dropped cylinder theory may be a good one. I will ride today and see what happens and how it feels. Thanks again for all the input.

Ride safe.

Check if there is a firmware update in your PC-v possible. To upgrade the firmware first upgrade the powercommander sw on your pc, after you did thet you have the possibility to upgrade the firmware to the latest version. ( there was a dropped cilinder issue solved in the latest firmware. )

The firmware update is in 2 steps. first the boatlader is upgraded then the firmware of the PC-V.

So it is nessesary to try several times to upgrade before you are done. Backup you maps first.

This is good info, Thanks :smile: .

Archived