Thanks and 1st impressions - What's next?

Guest V4Smitten

Guest V4Smitten

Thanks for the info that was helpful in choosing the VFR1200F. Got a fair deal on a new '10, love the red and no regrets vs the '12.

I like to buy bikes that are fun and suitable for where I'm living at the time or what I want to do with them. That said, of the streetbikes prior, there have been 2 that have really resonated with me for their overall competence and ability to do everything AND be fun...they were both Hondas...and this is sure to be another. I love this bike!

After 2 weeks of ownership and 1200km, (first service complete), here are my initial impressions after some highway, some sorties, and a little bit of city:

1. Excellent motor and manual trans. Not since the XX have I felt this kind of smoothness but with more bottom end. Buttery trans compared to the K12s.

2. Typical Honda fit and finish with incredible paint.

3. Handles like a much smaller bike. Compression damping in the rear can be jolting on less than perfect roads. I'll buzz the stock Dunlops off but they're better since dialing the suspension and running a bit less air front and rear.

4. Fuelling in 1st and 2nd really is a problem that can catch you out - both on the lag and then the surge. Np with the rest and at 6K rpm you better be paying close attention to the task at hand because the bike will be ready for what you are.

5. Range is limited but I typically get off after that amount of time to stretch anyway so I don't miss carrying the extra weight.

6. Comfort: At 6'2" 34 inseam - seat to peg distance is limited but not uncomfortable. The narrow tank and seat front.seem to help and its better than the XX or the K12S. I use an AirHawk for comfort now so that added about 1" to the distance and it fit the seat pan perfectly. Bar reach - no issue but prefer another inch or two higher. Windblast - about neck level on me at regular cruising.

7. The brakes are unbelievably good - - strong and progressive - - and the linking is less intrusive than what they had on the 'bird in '97. No ABS sampled yet come to think of it.

8. The Bags are nice. I've never had nice painted hardbags before so I'm no expert but I've been keeping them on all the time and have enjoyed the extra space.

9. Instrumentation: Very basic. A mileage count down would be better than the ambient temp if they weren't going to bother making the fuel gauge accurate...

What's next:I'm not big on farkles and am actually enjoying the quiet pipe for now after my last bike:

so far:

- just the AirHawk and my GPS

on order:

- Puig light smoke screen - was looking at the OEM extension but couldn't resist trying this one at the flea bay price first

- Z-Bomb - of course

- Knight Design Footpegs - I tried my old Buell pegs that I loved from Knight Design and they wouldn't fit! I had both 1" and 2" drops available. I looked at the existing options: I've had the spinning type before and didn't like the look or feel. I also asked Larry at BLS about his blocks for the 7th Gen and he's not ready yet. I contacted Knight Design who has EXCELLENT quality and customer service and they are stepping up for us! Did some measurements and sent some pics and they agreed to get some 7th Gens going and were milling the first prototypes today - -1" drop. When the production units are ready I'll post on the install and let you know my impressions.

this winter:

- Heli Bars - hoping they bring discounted stock to the bike show.

Sorry for the ramble. Exciting times and see you out there!

Here's a then and now:

post-25818-0-94602000-1346468814.jpg

post-25818-0-95927800-1346468835.jpg

Archived