5th Gen fork oil change and sag adjustment

huntinggunns

• Member Contributer

Just got finished changing the fork oil in my 98. All I can say is, thanks BR. Your 30 minute instructional thread is perfect. It did take me a little longer as mine looked like it had not been changed since it was built in 98 so I wanted to make sure that I flushed out the tubes very well. Was not sludge yet but it was definately getting there.

After getting the fork oil changed and everything buttoned up I finally got around to setting the sag. Thanks HS for the instructional thread on setting sag. I had not bothered with it becuase it rode really well, or so I thought. I weigh 180'ish with full riding gear and the rear was set at the 2nd click from full soft. To get to 32mm I had to bump it up to the 4th click from full soft. On the front I had to turn the front pre-load adjusters to almost flush with the fork caps to get to 32mm. This kind of has me worried as I would have thought that it I wouldn't have had to turn them in that far. Anyone think the front springs might be getting weak? Anyway, after setting everything up I took her for a ride. Man, what a difference, Not so much going down the highway but cornering is just awesome. No wiggling or nothing, she just squats a hair and sucks right into the corner. I never noticed that she really just kind of squished through the corners until I made the sag adjustments and rode it. I did increase the rebound just a little and I am done. So, once again, thanks VFRD for all the great information.

I do think it might be time for new springs in the front but would like to hear the consensus of the forum before I dive into changing all the guts out in the forks.

• Member Contributer

At around 180 you should be running a .85 - .95 kg front spring rate depending on your riding area, roads and style. The stock springs are too light for your weight.

When you respring the front you can custom cut the preload spacer needed.

Once you do correct the front spring rate issue though, you will notice then that the rear cannot keep up and will have to address the crappy stock rear shock.

vicious circle. :smile:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the information CC. If I understand you right, it is not so much that the springs are getting weak, they are just not stout enough for my weight. I guess this will have to be one of my winter projects.

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

What's the air gap in each fork leg supposed to be? think I'm going to just change the fork oil,not a complete strip/clean, 10wt oil.

can't find anywhere where it says what the air gaps should be though.

Did you change the fork seals? Or just the oil?

I am going back and forth between doing a quick on the bike fork oil change or pull the forks and change the fork seals and oil. I am hesitant to do the full seals/oil because I envision a struggle getting to and torquing the clamp bolts under the front fairing. I am also unsure of how much oil to use it I go for the on the bike option. How much did you use?

Archived