Motad Header pipe collector gasket

didit

• Member Contributer

While on the ride home from the SumSumx2, passing a group of cages I seem to have blown out one of the collector pipe gaskets.

Now my bike sounds like a tank and is really quiet embarrassing.

Sent an email to Motad in the UK and can't seem to find Anitori anywhere on line (where I originally purchased the headers from).

Pending a reply from Motad, anyone have any leads on parts / accessories?

Possible suggestions on a solid fix?

The gaskets look kind of like multi layered heat tape or 2" cut section of layered towel roll.

post-6587-0-15545200-1346199259.jpg

• Member Contributer

Freak'n awesome! Is that a stock part? Suggestions on where to order from or will m/c superstore recognize it?

Thanks for the input.

Stock part but I dont know what from, I think its a muffler gasket from one of their larger bikes, maybe a FJR , but I got mine from a Yamaha stealership (Alien territory)

It had to be ordered in, but in U.S. everything is easier LOL.

• Member Contributer

Ah yes, good thinking. Will be ordering this morning.

The open pipes sound is cool for about 20 seconds. Thanks for the great & quick help on this.

Note: received a message back from Motad - commented that stock Honda gaskets should work or can order from them for 15#, shipping included.

as said in the email I sent earlier- stock Honda gaskets will fit. Or a pair of our Motad versions will be £15 inc postage

These gaskets very rarely (never?) fail- be careful putting them in as if pished in too far the pipe can damage them when fitting- this may have happened on yours

i would not recommend a solid fix as this is not needed and will make fitting harder

IMCD

use sales@motad.co.uk for any enquiries about our products

• Member Contributer

as said in the email I sent earlier- stock Honda gaskets will fit. Or a pair of our Motad versions will be £15 inc postage

These gaskets very rarely (never?) fail- be careful putting them in as if pished in too far the pipe can damage them when fitting- this may have happened on yours

i would not recommend a solid fix as this is not needed and will make fitting harder

IMCD

Appreciate the quick and helpful reply. By 'solid' I meant a good, reliable fix - not a solid weld or permanent fix.

Not sure how they actually blew out but, none the less the header itself is still 100% and a great product.

Going to check the local Yamaha dealer for availability of the part dogman suggested.

• Member Contributer

$27.99 for a set of 2 from the local Yami dealer.

At first when I called, the guy said $24 EACH. I asked, "don't they come in sets of 2?" He said no.

Went in, dealt with a different guy, got the 2 set, paid full retail (support that local economy) and left.

Needed the part, not the markup. Oh well, soon to sound good again.

IMCD

The gaskets from a 5th gen VFR MAY fit but the gaskets from a 6th gen definitely wont fit as the pipes are smaller diameter.

I never tried the 5th gen parts on the motad headers, and I didnt fit the gaskets supplied by motad as the fit was very poor IMO, I just fitted the Yamaha part first up and have had zero problems. The clamps leave a bit to be desired too IMO.

IMCD

Appreciate the quick and helpful reply. By 'solid' I meant a good, reliable fix - not a solid weld or permanent fix.

Not sure how they actually blew out but, none the less the header itself is still 100% and a great product.

Going to check the local Yamaha dealer for availability of the part dogman suggested.

as Churchill said " two nations divided by a common language"! - lost in translation let us know if you need our gaskets on sales@motad.co.uk

IMCD

IMCD

About the reason for your gaskets blowing, are you sure the front header assembly didn't slip down off the rear header pipes at the joint?

It seems to be a weak point in the design that there is no under engine mounting point to support the weight of the front section provided like the OEM headers have, and it is really only the friction in the clamped joint that stops it from slipping apart.

I was worried about that at first, but nothing seems to have moved so far.

Archived