6th gen hot/cold hard start issues

Guest Jrocket

Guest Jrocket

I have a 2003 with about 72,000 miles on it. I commute daily about 32 miles each way. Just recently I have encountered an intermitent hard start issue.

At first it would take a few seconds longer then normal, and it wouldn't do it every day. The engine would crank over, just wouldn't fire right away (sometimes). Once running, there have been really no other issues. It hasn't had any power loss or any other running issues.

Last night leaving work, it just would fire at all. I did so many 4-5 second bursts of the starter that my fully charged battery lost it's charge. It took my three laps of my parkinglot to bump start it. It does not seem to matter if the bike is hot or cold either. If I shut the bike off after riding it and try to start it I still get a hard start.

I think I can rule out fuel as this has happened over several different fuel tanks. The spark plugs are about a year old, and when I pulled the last set out with about 45K on them they looked fine. I'm pretty sure it isn't spark plugs.

What else could it be. I would think if i have a fuel pressure regulator going out I would have other running issues once it started. Any idea? I have 8 hours before I need to get it started again to get home.

Battery is older, but holds up fine under a loaded voltage test. That and I keep it on a tender frequently. I'm positive it isn't a battery issue. If it was simply a battery issue, bump starting it would only take one attempt. (I know I've had to do it before). This took me many many attempts. Once I got it running it runs fine. Which confuses me. If it has enough spark/fuel to run and accelerate fine and has no running issues. I would think that with this kind of hard start it would be fuel or spark, but I would also expect those problems to carry over into how it runs.

• 3 weeks later...

o I have solved one of two problems. During my attempt to start the bike I lost all power to the dash. With the key on, the fuel pump cycled, lights came on, dash lit up. I hit the start button and everything turned off. Including the clock. I ran out of time as life had been busy lately, so this last week I finally had time to revisit the bike. First place I looked, starter solenoid. 19691d1347235451t-6th-gen-hot-cold-hard-start-photo-2.jpg19692d1347235483t-6th-gen-hot-cold-hard-start-photo-3.jpg

So I've ordered a new one. I also checked with Honda. The recall on the electrical system was performed in 2008. So I am hoping that is not RR/ over charging the electrical system problem. What I am hoping happened, with me trying to start the bike for so long (several minutes off and on in 20 second bursts) until I drained the battery the heat draw caused by that much current flowing through it melted it.

So with a new one on the way I am now hunting for a new clip from the wire harness. The local motorcycle salvage yard says they don't have one, I've checked ebay, and the local dealer says they can't get me one without a full wire harness. I'm not going to buy a whole harness for one tiny clip. I also tested the rest of the electrical system with my meter. Everything had good continuity, and nothing that shouldn't be grounded was grounded. So I just need to splice in a few inches of new wire and find a new clip. With that fixed, then I will readdress the hard start issue.

Battery is older, but holds up fine under a loaded voltage test. That and I keep it on a tender frequently. I'm positive it isn't a battery issue. If it was simply a battery issue, bump starting it would only take one attempt. (I know I've had to do it before). This took me many many attempts. Once I got it running it runs fine. Which confuses me. If it has enough spark/fuel to run and accelerate fine and has no running issues. I would think that with this kind of hard start it would be fuel or spark, but I would also expect those problems to carry over into how it runs.

it aint the battery , turning the motor over is the most load on the battery, so if turning over well(which sounds like it is.(30 or 40 times), till you simply run out of juice, then it aint the battery.

where is the bike idling at normally, once you get it good and warm set it around 1300 to 1400 rpm, possible your wax unit or starter valves isnt perfect.

• Member Contributer

it aint the battery , turning the motor over is the most load on the battery, so if turning over well(which sounds like it is.(30 or 40 times), till you simply run out of juice, then it aint the battery.

where is the bike idling at normally, once you get it good and warm set it around 1300 to 1400 rpm, possible your wax unit or starter valves isnt perfect.

You'd be surprised. I had a battery that acted normal, charged normal, and ran the bike normal, then the next day it just gave me the middle finger.

Usually if the cca output is consistant and strong, there's no reason to suspect the battery. But if it becomes intermittant or weak, like the next day from some odd scenario. But cca output Normally always LEADS over reserve power failure in suspecting something is up with a Battery. The whole time under this scenario he's had great cca output, atleast till he turned the moto over so many times, it ran the battery down.

I read nothing to suspect the battery, like intermittant slow turn over at times, as youd see that going along with a clock reset, from a reserve power failure.

Lots of little factors to recognise a failing battery, and they can definately be good one day and fail the next.

Im on the 3rd battery on the VFR, usually around 40,000 Plus miles, the CCA starts getting weak, so you know end of life is coming

Wel hopefully I'll have an answer for you guys soonish. I just picked up my new Starter solenoid yesterday. I also purchased a used wire loom to I can cut off the starter solenoid clip and splice it into my exsisting loom. I have hot wired around the solenoid last week just to see if that would solve my problem of having NO power.

Once I get the bits in the bike, I can then readdress the hard start issue. I'll check the plugs "again" Will update again once I have everything buttoned back up.

Archived