Anyone using TraX bags on your Gen7?

Yokel

• Member Contributer

So.... I'm bag shopping.

The Nelson-Riggs I use are nice, but don't sit right and flop around in the twisties.

I'm PONDERING either going with the Givi V35 PLX style with the motech rack... Thus: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5493/804/

Or going full-bore fugly and useful with the TraX set. Thus:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/imagecatalogue/imageview/12715/?RefererURL=/trade/productview/5492/77/

I've been asking around to a few guys that I've seen post pics of their bikes all kitted up... As I live with mine 365, I'm leaning towards the pure functionality and shape of the TraX. What do you Givi guys think? Anyone using TraX?

I'm curious if the TraX change the feel of the bike on hwy or in crosswinds a undue amount... not exactly aerodynamic and I have to ride in all the funky weather here in Oklahoma.

Thoughts?

Sorry, no real input here but, what's the reason you don't go OEM? I know they are very expensive but the mounting is brilliant as it doesn't need a rack.

Most 7th gen owners I've spoken have gotten the OEM panniers and went for a Givi or the like topbox.

Wow! That is ugly. However, if function is your goal, they would kill the OEM's. I like the OEM's a lot for my needs.......mount easy, look good, hold what I need, and I can't tell they are back there. They are small though. My OEM's on the 6th gen were much larger (equivalent to V35's I believe). I do like the functionality of the TraX though. Good luck.

Ride safe.

Sorry, no real input here but, what's the reason you don't go OEM? I know they are very expensive but the mounting is brilliant as it doesn't need a rack.

Most 7th gen owners I've spoken have gotten the OEM panniers and went for a Givi or the like topbox.

ZesPak,

That's exactly what I have. The OEM panniers and the GIVI top box. That combination works great for me and doesn't look too bad either. I have the color matched (near perfect) lid on my top box. True, the OEM bags are pricey but they sure look good and are really easy to use. I get lots on compliments on the side bags.

Just my 2 cents,

Good luck on your decision.

• Member Contributer

If you get the Trax, watch out for some serious rear end wiggle... as the bike tries to throw off those embarrassingly ugly bad boys :blush:

:laughing6-hehe:

Like adding a box-truck tail to a v-12 vanquish.

• Member Contributer

Somehow I missed this question.

Here's my reasoning Zes:

I live with this as my daily transport. I treat this bike like a truck, really, more than a motorcycle. The reason I didn't go OEM from the get-go and went with the Nelson-Rigg Soft bags was the ability to bungee net to the bag itself, therefore carrying a larger load on the pillion proper. The SIZE of the OEM bags internally is probably suitable for 90% of my needs... 29L each is a lot of room, but the odd internal shape worries me and the fact that there's not really anywhere on the exterior of the bags (aside from the handle) to use as a hardpoint to attach a bungee net. The obvious PROS of the OEM set are the ease-of-use, common key and the looks. They do look damn fine.

The TraX bags, while fugly as could be, really appeal to me in a basic design and function aspect. I think with some tinkering at the shop I could mount some hardpoints to attach whatever my little heart desires, plus have the mounting rack itself as a place to rope up camping gear etc... should I need to. Plus, there's also the available attachment for a topbox or an additional rack for stowed crap. The shape is more user-friendly to most of the kind of cargo I carry like groceries and tools, and while on the road, camping for instance, I wouldn't need to pack along a chair as the box would make a passable stool to sit on or to use as a table for preparing food etc...

I'm still on the fence. The price of the TraX setup is really more than I was looking to part with for a non-OEM set, but from all the reviews I've read from the adventure bike guys, it seems like a pretty damn solid set-up.

Here's a picture of a typical grocery run... you can see the problem.

gallery_23869_6426_170558.jpg

I do like the flexibility of the NR bags I've got now... I can load a lot in them. However, if I was taking a week long trip like I plan to, the fact that the do move a bit (flop around) while going, especially in turns and loaded with 80lbs of crap, makes the rear end a bit squirrely. I would think hard bags would help with that a bit and make the bike feel a bit more settled when it most needs to be.

Thanks for that clarification!

I have the oem sidebags and often strap a big backpack to the top with a bungee net. I do this by just putting my hooks of the net also on the mounting points of the panniers. It's a little harder when they are on, but not impossible.

Also, I think in most reviews the sidebags aren't given enough credit. They for example often state that they can't fit a full face helmet, while my "medium" Shark Vision-R (a fairly standard full face I'd think) fits them easily.

As for the TraX, they look a bit odd on the viffer but very functional. Givi does a similar set, "Trekker", funny about them is that you can use the same luggage as top box as as side hardbags:

http://www.givi.it/S.../TRK46N-TREKKER

I especially like this image:

optionals-E125.jpg

Wow... those trekker bags are pretty slick. Hadn't seen those before.

Thing I love about those Givi bags is that they go through great lenghts to make everything "compatible". You can order 3 different cases and then interchange them each way, match their keys,...

• Member Contributer

The reason I didn't go OEM from the get-go and went with the Nelson-Rigg Soft bags was the ability to bungee net to the bag itself, therefore carrying a larger load on the pillion proper. The SIZE of the OEM bags internally is probably suitable for 90% of my needs... 29L each is a lot of room, but the odd internal shape worries me and the fact that there's not really anywhere on the exterior of the bags (aside from the handle) to use as a hardpoint to attach a bungee net.

If that's the only thing preventing you from going with the OEM hard bags, have you considered installing something on the OEM hard bags that would allow you to bungee to the bags?

Something like one of the following:

One of those may allow you (a) to have the OEM-looking hard bags for the 90% of the time when you want "that look", and (b) to still have the option to go "Beverly Hillbillies" as needed. :tongue:

Best of luck with whatever you work out.

Ron

The reason I didn't go OEM from the get-go and went with the Nelson-Rigg Soft bags was the ability to bungee net to the bag itself, therefore carrying a larger load on the pillion proper. The SIZE of the OEM bags internally is probably suitable for 90% of my needs... 29L each is a lot of room, but the odd internal shape worries me and the fact that there's not really anywhere on the exterior of the bags (aside from the handle) to use as a hardpoint to attach a bungee net.

If that's the only thing preventing you from going with the OEM hard bags, have you considered installing something on the OEM hard bags that would allow you to bungee to the bags?

Something like one of the following:

One of those may allow you (a) to have the OEM-looking hard bags for the 90% of the time when you want "that look", and (b) to still have the option to go "Beverly Hillbillies" as needed. :tongue:

Best of luck with whatever you work out.

Ron

Great advice, I was thinking exactly the same thing! Would fit some rubber rings too to keep them waterproof though.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

So, got the bags on tonight.

The SW-Motech stuff is like most German products and severely over-engineered. It took a couple tries at several points to realize that yes, in fact, it DOES eventually make sense.

With that said, I've now gone from this:

gallery_23869_6426_170558.jpg

To this:

gallery_23869_6426_1155860.jpg

gallery_23869_6426_1444383.jpg

gallery_23869_6426_584458.jpg

gallery_23869_6426_697893.jpg

gallery_23869_6426_1023335.jpg

gallery_23869_6426_1692294.jpg

gallery_23869_6426_724299.jpg

gallery_23869_6426_519120.jpg

gallery_23869_6426_996215.jpg

gallery_23869_6426_922233.jpg

The mounting setup is pretty solid. Fortunately, I work in a machine shop as there was a bit of tweaking required to get the locks working right. :comp13:

Truly, once getting used to the functionality, the whole kit-and-kaboodle can be taken off in about 1 minute. The bags just simply cam-latch on, and the racks are held by two keyed cam-locks, then 4 cam-locks.

Construction is single-wall aluminum, weight limits at 22lbs per bag which should be more than suitable for most of my needs. Hard-points for a bungee net as well. :woohoo:

Biggest thing for me was the simple functionality of these bags. There's no weird angles to work with, it's literally, simply a BOX. The aerodynamic affect is still out for judgement since I didn't have any decent cross-winds today, but really they feel pretty good on the highway. :cheerleader:

I'll try to get some photos of the SW-Motech system and throw those up as well. There IS a semi-permanent shelf now hanging off past the pillion when there is no box set there, but the side racks off only leaves a tab by the liscense plate mount and one by the passenger foot rests.

nice post. Just tried a demo Cross Tourer with the Givi version of these Trax square boxes and no wiggle even under hard riding...very practical and that wins over "sleek" in my book..it is a tourer after all?

• Member Contributer

nice post. Just tried a demo Cross Tourer with the Givi version of these Trax square boxes and no wiggle even under hard riding...very practical and that wins over "sleek" in my book..it is a tourer after all?

It is in spirit. :rolleyes:

Have a new suspension on the way. With my fat ass on this thing with the bags, it needs some help and I can't deny it any longer. :tongue:

Hopefully 2-3 weeks to install. Pretty jazzed about that. I'm planning on a 2-3 week trip next spring, so this is all prep.

I wouldn't have thought of putting these on the new VFR. I have the 40 litre panniers and top case on my KLR and the TRAX plus SW Motech mounts are solid - I've dropped my bike many times without any damage to the bags or racks.

Archived