Installing an ABS shock on non ABS VFR800

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

Long story short, I have a rebuilt VFR800ABS shock (thanks to Jamie Daugherty) that I am putting into my 2009 VFR800 (non-ABS). The question I have, since I have no reference of how the shock goes in and how preload adjuster hose is routed. Can someone tell me or, better yet, post a picture of how the shock is mounted (i.e. Preload adjuster hose toward front) and how the hose gets routed though the rear sub-frame assembly. I think I figured out how I would need to get the adjuster in, i.e. removal of the knob and bracket, just not sure about the other concerns.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

There is a PDF of the 6th gen service manual on the site. You could download that and it should have all the info you need.

I would have thought that it would have too. However, I do have the 'Service Manual - Honda VFR800 VTEC 2002+ (with bookmarks).pdf' I downloaded from the VFRD Downloads section but I could not find anything detailed in the manual. On page 14-30 (of the manual) in the rear suspension section, middle of the page it reads 'ABS type only: Route the pre-load adjuster hose into the frame (page 1-25)'. This is the 'Cable & Harness Routing' section, but I can't seem to find anything regarding how the shock is orientated. Other than a sketch of the rear right side on page 1-34, which just shows how the hose routes to the right of the rear brake MC and over the rear sub frame, nothing really shows the "internal" view, closer to the shock mounting point. From my investigation of this area it looks like there are two paths the hose can take, but I would hate to assume any orientation of the shock (i.e. hose toward front) or hose routing path, for some things I'm OK with a little trial and error, but in this case I'm not.

From what I can tell, removing the right rear side cover, which covers the rear brake MC, (three quick release pins) should allow for a decent view of the top of the shock. Anyone with an (2002-2009) ABS VFR care to take a quick peek and let me know what they see?

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

I'll look tonight for you unless some one gets to it before me.

Sweet! I originally planned on installing this past weekend but got derailed with some "honey do" projects, so I figured I do my recon first. May try installing one of these evenings so my weekend will be free for riding. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Any word?

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Any word?

Cheers!

Sorry haven't forgot about you. Just can't seem to find 10mins to pull the seat and off and stick a camera in there. Life keeps getting in the way :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Lost this post and coudn't remember where is was :p

Anyways had the seat off and the side cover to try and follow the line for you. It's in-behind some other plastic, but the mounts for the remote adjuster are welded to the frame so it most likely is there on the non-abs version as well.

Adjuster hose on top of the shock is orientated to the back right side. I did this conversion a couple years ago and I did not have trouble figuring out the routing to the adjuster. It fit once the plastic knob was removed. Do not loose the ball bearing and spring that make the knob click. It falls out when the knob is removed.

• Member Contributer

I did this to my non-ABS bike. I don't seem to recall it being a big deal although I did remove the plastic adjuster knob so that the rest fit through the swingarm.

Be careful when doing this so that you don't lose the ball bearing inside the "clicker". It tends to go shooting across the garage and underneath the worst place possible.

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys! Sorry for the delayed response but I have been travelling and really busy with work. That being said, I was able to get it all sorted out and was able to get the hose routed to what seemed to be the proper path. At least it doesnt look like it will get pinched or caught on anything. I was very careful to watch the little ball bearing and was just about to get it all put back together and...it drpped on the floor and I lost it for a few minutes.

The only real gotcha was the mounting holes for the remote adjuster needed to be tapped as they never had any bolts in them before. I had to take the right rear passenger peg assembly off to get them tapped but other than that it was uneventful. So far I'm happy with the new setup.

Cheers!

Do you think you can post some pictures? I am interested in upgrading my rear suspension and this seems like a viable option. Also where did you have all the work done?

Archived