CBR600F2 fork spring in 1 leg

Guest VFRDom

Guest VFRDom

I have been thoroughly enjoying my 5th gen for the last few months. The suspension feels a little soft but bearable for my commute. Anyways, going over the maintenance records I saw that the forks had not been serviced in a long time, so I decided to crack them open and take a look. According to the records, the forks were worked on by someone named Dan Kyle who installed a CBR600F2 fork spring in one leg. Only one leg?!

According to racetech's site, the CBR600F2 spring is either .710 or .648 kg/mm depending on the year. If the stock spring rate is .740 kg/mm, what the heck was the point of installing the lighter spring? The CBR spring is also significantly shorter than the stock spring and the oil in that leg appears to be slightly heavier than the other.

Any ideas on why the forks were set up this way?

post-24552-0-96497700-1339212212.jpg

Dan Kyle is a hugely respected superbike tuner.

Putting different springs in the fork legs is a way to split the spring rate. If you have .975 springs and need something a bit heavier, but not enough to use two 1.00 springs, you can custom tailor the spring rate by using one heavier, one lighter.

http://www.kyleusa.com/About_Us.html

• Member Contributer

Interesting. Kind of an Ueber-progressive fork spring unit? (spring-coil bind-spring-coil bind-spring-coil bind-spring?)

(Or, maybe the fork builder was just drunk at the time...) :tongue:

Ciao,

I'm the third owner of the bike and the fork work was done by the original owner. The PO told me the bike was set up for a 200 lb rider and I believed him, oh well.

For now I'll just change the fork oil until I decide on what spring rate to use. Time to do some searching on VFRD.

Archived