VFR1200 Sport Touring Tire List

• Member Contributer

No, this is not your typical tire thread. I just want to list out the various ST rear tire options available to the 1200 with it's 190/55 rear.

This size is becoming more popular but for now I can only find 4 models to fit:

1. Michelin PR2/PR3

2. Dunlop Roadsmart II

3. Metzeler Roadtec Z8 (C spec)

4. Pirelli Angel

Edited to include entries from below in this thread:

5. Bridgestone BT23 GT spec (apparently Euro only, but not even listed on Bridgestone's website)

6. Continental Road Attack 2

I did not include the BT21 since the BT23 is essentially it's successor.

This is not a review thread so just leave it at that.

If you know of others in this size, feel free to add it.

Bridgestone does not offer the BT23 in 190/55 but they do have a 180/55 GT spec for heavier bikes.

Over here they do.

5. Bridgestone BT023 (only GT spec)

6. Continental Road Attack 2

I am wondering if anyone has the BT023 tires with the GT spec?

I am running the BT023 GT in a 190/55-17 on my Multistrada. The front BT023 is not the GT spec. I bought the set from Motorcycle Superstore in March, although they do not currently show 190/55 on their website. Perhaps a phone call could shed some light. I currently have about 1,000 miles on the set and I don't have any complaints with dry handling, haven't been caught with them in the wet. I got 3,000 to 3,500 miles on each of the last two sets of PR2's. I just wanted to try something different, but I'm not expecting any miracle mileage.

I am wondering if anyone has the BT023 tires with the GT spec?

I am running the BT023 GT in a 190/55-17 on my Multistrada. The front BT023 is not the GT spec. I bought the set from Motorcycle Superstore in March, although they do not currently show 190/55 on their website. Perhaps a phone call could shed some light. I currently have about 1,000 miles on the set and I don't have any complaints with dry handling, haven't been caught with them in the wet. I got 3,000 to 3,500 miles on each of the last two sets of PR2's. I just wanted to try something different, but I'm not expecting any miracle mileage.

Thank you Earthshake. I called the Bridgestone customer service technical support and the product support engineer recommended we put the BT023 GT on both front and back tires for the VFR1200F. I am just seeing how long I can go with my BT021.

• 3 months later...

Just had the local stealership mount a set of bt023 gt's on my vfr 1200. About $360 mounted out the door. It was $250 plus tax plus $85 for installation. Tire tax is ridiculous here in NC. The dealership matched motorcycle-superstore.com price. I felt it was worth paying the tax to buy my tires from the local dealer in case there were any problems with the tires...avoid the hassle of online return. Haven't really had the chance to put any back road miles on em yet, but my initial impressions are positive on the highway and city streets. I have a set of standard spec bt 023s on my bandit and love em so I'm expecting similar performance out of the gt's. I should add that the original bt 021s on this bike were the first set of bike tires where I wore out the front long before I wore out the rear. After 3800 miles the front was pretty much bald on the sides and just a little tread left in the center...rear looks like it could go another 1500 miles or so.

3. Metzeler Roadtec Z8 (C spec)

The 190/55 Z8 Interact is also available in regular M spec. C spec being for the heavy weight touring machines.

I still wonder what the difference is (besides the name and looks) between:

- Metzeler Roadtec Z8

- Pirelli Angel ST

Both are produced in Germany in the Pirelli/Metzeler factory in Breuberg/Odenwald.

Is it simple marketing, or did they really made 2 different kind of ST tires?

I can't find an answer to that...but I doubt that Pirelli did twice R/D costs for these ST tires.

Archived