Replacement ignition switch

Guest kpmunt

Guest kpmunt

My son has a 1990 VFR 750 with 42,xxx miles on it. Great bike! The problem is that the ignition switch is really finicky after he removes the key. Sometimes he has had to fiddle with it for several minutes before it will turn. Works fine in the gas tank and helmet lock so problem must be in the switch.

Any known "fix" for this other than a new lockset?

If a lock set is required what years will interchange and what is a good source for the replacement? I'm not concerned with all of the locks being keyed the same.

There are two possibilities:- the key is slightly worn or misaligned sufficient to not engage correctly with the ignition lock but OK for the others (which are less used), or the lock is worn/stiff.

Is there a spare key (you should have at least one) that is less worn / used? An original would be best.

Try lubricating the lock, not with oil though. Flush it with WD40 and leave to drain / dry. Squirt in some graphite powder as a lubricant and work the lock back and forth to spread it around. This might work.

Here in the UK we have aftermarked suppliers who list pattern fitments, so I'd expect someone over there will do the same. BUT be aware it is not a simple fix - you probably need to undo special bolts under the top yoke and check the alignment of the lock pin to its headstock receiver.

I might be able to help if you need to actually replace the ignition switch. I am picking up a box of parts this Friday from a guy who sold his VFR (crazy, I know!), and he said it includes an ignition switch. I was going to keep all the stuff in case I ever need any of it, but just noticed your post. Let me know and I`ll check it out for you. :smile:

• Member Contributer

There are some cheap ones on ebay. Reality is, the cheap ones are OK. They are not as sturdy as stock, but locks are to discourage casual thieves. If somebody wants your bike, OEM isn't gonna stop them either.

$15 on ebay. I have purchased similar sets on ebay. The bolts aren't special, but you do have to remove the upper fairing to get access. I used one for my 90 that I am restoring. Its not that bad.

Cheers!

P.S. to answer your question, there are not any real alternatives. Lube with graphite may help for the short term, but I have had to replace a couple of locksets. If your bike is left outside, well the lock cylinder faces upwards in the rain. It's the lock cylinder that is worn out, not the switch part - that is on the base, and they are made with some really heavy duty stuff - the copper for the contacts is really thick!

Some of the other bikes, CBRs and such have the exact same key set. You can replace with that, or once you have the old lockset off, you can undo the two screws into the top cylinder portion and *carefully* remove that top part - do the same to your used part and swap the tops. I have also done this operation with one of the aftermarket jobs from ebay. Works fine, you get to keep the OEM switch (as long as your contacts are good), and you get to have a new lock on top. So, there are some options, just not any really *easy* ones. If you need some help removing the fairings and such, just ask, I'm sure someone on this site will help. The mid-panels on your son's bike make a really hard squeak when you are pulling them off, all the 3rd gens do - at least all that I have worked on. It's probably an hour or so worth of work, but you will pay out the nose if you take it to Honda.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Hey, that should work. I don't know about the $14 units. I bought one of the $50(ish) units. Matched up nicely, with no mods for my 90. But for my XT600, it required the cylinder swap.

Cheers!

PIcked up my parts last night, including the ignition. I'm thinking though that you might want to go the other route; this came off a '90 with 151, 000 km (almost 100,000 miles) so it's probably pretty worn. Always nice to see VFR's with high miles though :tour: And in fact this one was still going strong. The ignition was sticking so they just replaced it, then later took apart the original and freed it up.

If you decide you want it, it's yours for $15 plus shipping. If not it will reside in my spare parts collection until I (or somebody else) needs it.

When I'm home this evening I'll check out the switch for you, and I'll see what the shipping charges would be.

Hey guys! My apologies for the delay; I wasn't able to get the shipping checked until today. $8.52 is my actual cost to ship, so that's good. However, I stil want you to be sure you know what you're getting. I tried the switch for a while this morning and although a little stiff at first , it does actuate the steering lock pin OK. But going from 'off' to 'on' there's no click, and in fact the key turns freely back and forth between those positions with no resistance. It looks to be in great condition on the outside, but no idea what is or is not going on inside.

So - it's up to you. $23.52 Canadian (US $22.87 at today's exchange) and it's yours. Maybe if it does have issues the parts can be combined with the one you have? Let me know.

Steve

Archived