Question for suspension Gurus

Guest daemontrym

Guest daemontrym

I ride a 4th Gen with a 929 shock that Jamie installed a stiffer spring along with a gold valve for my weight. The front end just has a set of hyperpro front progressive spring.

The front is set to 12 turns out which works great for me 2 up, hard riding, and just cruising. The rear shock preload I have the rear shock preload set 1 position away from the middle and put it 2 positions higher for 2 up riding. I have the rear compression/rebound dampening set in the middle.

The problem I have is most of the scenic places in Arizona I like to ride have kind of crappy/bumpy road surfaces. Its just on uneven or bumpy surfaces feeling in the rear end tends to go away and starts to feel harsh. I've tried playing with the compression/rebound settings, but that tends to make it good on uneven surfaces and lacking everywhere else.

So I am wondering what you guys would suggest for the compression/rebound.

It's hard to know if the front & rear springs rates will ever be match with those Prog. springs in there! What's the rear spring rate and your weight?

First thing you need to do is set Proper Sag front & rear(guideline here in the How To section), then start w/ rebound on the rear. There will be NO two clicks/ 3 turns numbers anyone can give you for your bike and suspension set-up, it will be trial and error.

Once sag is set adjust the comp and rebound in the driveway so that you just start to feel their effect bouncing up & dn on the bike in each direction, then go find a loop with all the types of road conditions you ride(5-20 mile) and ride. Stop after taking mental notes on how the bike felt. Make a sizable change to rebound ONLY (plus 1- turn) and re-test ride. If that feels better than your first test ride your going in the right direction(if not, go the other direction), Keep going in that direction until it gets worse again. Back off in small amounts until you like it best. Then do it all over again with Comp Only. Then you might want to go back and try a small change to rebound again after getting the comp where you want it.

Having a properly set-up front or rear suspension will only marginally improve the bikes feel, getting them both upgraded and Matched will make a Huge difference front & rear!

Stock fork valving & Prog. springs will always be halfazzed and throw off the feel of both ends of the bike.

PS I'm No guru.

BR

Rebound is not something that will vary alot, so where ever they told you, the rear shock should be at, you should be in that area no more than a click either way. use that as a guide and play with the other, till your sure a rebound adjustment is needed.

I'll try resetting sag, but I believe I am very close in my current settings. I am not looking for a magic setting or anything, but more of an explanation of rebound and compression dampening. Sag will be my first step since I recently lost 22 lbs so that's probably part of it too

Archived