Replacing 4th Gen Windshield - Is there some secret here?

• Member Contributer

My '95 VFR currently has an aftermarket tinted shield the previous owner installed way back when. I had picked up an original and wanted to install it. After removing the mirrors and inside trim, I was able to get the aftermarket shield out (barely). My problem is the original shield is shaped differently in particular at the mirror part and there is no way I can wedge that thing in the upper fairing without putting undo pressure on the upper part of the fairing on each side of where the shield goes. I cringe at the thought of snapping one of those off.

My question is do I have to take the front fairing loose,apart, semi-apart or what?

Thanks for any help provided.

Chuck

• Member Contributer

Sometimes its a PITA, but I'd try to pull off center V, both mids and remove 4 bolts holding upper in place, then try to wedge windshield in place. If that doesn't work then remove upper, place windshield on first and with an assistant place upper on and loosely mount mirrors(you'll need assistant to either wiggle upper to line up mirror holes or to tighten up mirror screws while you line it up. good luck and happy mothers day

It's easier than you think. Take the side fairings off (one allen head bolt and three screws per side, plus a few per side in the V-piece between the side fairings that are best accessed with a shorty screwdriver), then pull out from the bottom of the fairing until the tabs at the top disengage from the upper fairings). The bellypan fairings can stay put.

There's a couple of screws that hold the V-piece to the nose cone - remove them.

Then take the allen head bolts out of the upper fairings (just below the clip-ons). You already have your mirrors off, so you're done! The whole three-piece-plus-headlight nose assembly is now merely resting on a pair of tangs on the subframe, they have rubber sleeves that are a snug fit into two holes in the headlight assembly - the headlight takes all the load, because it weighs about 30kg. Well, feels that way. Stand in front of the bike and hold the nose assembly firmly, then gently ease it forward until it pops off those two rubber sleeves - it has a bit of weight in it thanks to the headlight glass, so be ready - now it is now completly free of the bike, apart from the wires to the headlights and indicators. Now put it back where it goes, because unless you want to rip the connectors off the lights you have no other choice :smile:

Now put the windscreen on the tank, ease the nose forward again and slip the screen in.

You'd probably get away with leaving the V-piece connected to the nose cone for your requirements, but you can easily take the whole nose off by disconnecting indicators and headlights - there may be some wiring clipped to the 'intakes' that fit behind the holes above the indicators - you simply need to manouver the rearward bits of the upper fairings past the various bits of subframe, controls etc. And then you can clean all the bits you can't normally reach, and if you've planned ahead, fit LED wedges into the instrument lights. A long time ago I swapped the 2w indicator globes for 5w ones, which made it really hard to forget to switch off an indicator after a turn...

• Member Contributer

Hey guys, really appreciate the responses. This sounds like a post-TMAC project for me when I can have some assistance from someone. Thanks again.

Chuck

Archived