1997 Honda vfr750 fv rebuild

Guest StevenBlanc

Guest StevenBlanc

Hi All,

I picked up a 1997 Honda vfr750fv to get back into road bikes. the had sat unused in a shed since 2001 with 20k on the clocks. The bike needed a major caliper rebuild, new pads, new lines, new tyres, full fluid change and a rh front fairing.

Any tips and tricks for these bikes? Was thinking of installing 929 rear shock and upgrading the standard front forks, I like to keep the look stock, what can I do to upgrade the front forks?

Know of anyone selling a rh front fairing in red?

• Member Contributer

Hello and welcome. Where are you from? How about some pics?

A 929 rear shock is always a good idea and a cheap one too, even after getting it worked and setup. Plenty of info on the 929 shock swap on the forums.

Lots of options on the front forks as well. You can do anything from Racetech gold valves and progressive springs to slapping a 929/RC51/R1/1098 front end on there. Again, lots of info on here on who's tried what and which triples work with this and that and which oil to use

Good luck finding a fairing. Might be better off just trying to repair yours if you can, if you have one. Or just do a fairing swap to something else if you're really bored.

Welcome, and good find with the parked bike.

If the forks aren't bent, you can do well with a spring change for your weight, and some gold valves in the forks, and the correct oil for the springs.

Sounds like you have a handle on the rest.

Which RH fairing do you need? There's the upper fairing around the bars, the mid fairing with the ducts and graphics, and the lower gray portion. I just had an accident and replaced with used or repaired most of my body work - good condition mid fairings are VERY hard to find and most expensive from Honda. Uppers are out there and a little easier to find. Lowers are generally not too bad to locate.

I suggest learning to repair what you have, if you're into that type of thing. There are lots of tips around here on how to do repairs (plastifix is a favorite adhesive). Also, Thurn in Germany sells bodywork ($$$ but good) as does Airtech ($ but lower quality and no tabs). Let me know if you need help on repairs, I just went through the research and repair process myself.

Guest StevenBlanc

Thanks guys need the rh upper fairing. I have heard that some cbr 600 internal fit and give fork adjustability. Is this true? If so is there a thread in this mod? Has anyone else done this and what does it do to comfort and handling?

Archived