Dutch VFR 1200 DCT/2012 review - with damage

Must of this forum members don't read Dutch motorcycle reviews. For those who are frustrated about damage to your bike: I doesn't only happens to us. While reviewing a (very beautiful Titanium Blade Metallic) VFR 1200 DCT In France, the testdriver had a very stupid accident. While taking gas, he put his helmet on the tank and wanted to move his bike and ended up on the ground...

For those who are intrested, a good article and very nice (damage) pictures...

http://www.motorfreaks.nl/testen/2012/test-honda-vfr1200-dct/route-des-paraplu.html

Not speaking Dutch, what happend to the rear tire? Or since it is in Dutch what happend to the rear tyre?

Mark

Greatest invention since sliced bread!

Go to http://translate.google.com

Type in the website address

select FROM dutch TO english

Click TRANSLATE

and presto, Bob's your uncle....

Brian

Due to the tip over the sidcase got dislocated and rubbed on the tyre. It put a hole in the sidecase and melted rubber all over the swingarm .As the shops were closed that (sun)day and he had allready done 200km before he dicovered the problem, he just rode on and put another 1800km on the tires without any problem.

I've seen a couple 2012 veefalos and this colour (and the blue) look a lot better out on the road then it does in those pictures.

Not speaking Dutch, what happend to the rear tire? Or since it is in Dutch what happend to the rear tyre?

Mark

Greatest invention since sliced bread!

Go to http://translate.google.com

Type in the website address

select FROM dutch TO english

Click TRANSLATE

and presto, Bob's your uncle....

Brian

Still some parts are unclear in googlish.

• Member Contributer

I've seen a couple 2012 veefalos and this colour (and the blue) look a lot better out on the road then it does in those pictures.

its something about this bike in general. it doesn't look good in pictures, its something that has to be seen in real life.

As it was a no-speed drop, the bike design crash bumpers look pretty inconspicuous and would have paid for themselves a couple of times after such a drop :/.

Too little too late probably, but I'm glad I've got them installed.

The case that loosened is of course just bad luck. Weird that the rubbing against the tyre didn't immediately create an alarming noise?

As it was a no-speed drop, the bike design crash bumpers look pretty inconspicuous and would have paid for themselves a couple of times after such a drop :/.

Too little too late probably, but I'm glad I've got them installed.

The case that loosened is of course just bad luck. Weird that the rubbing against the tyre didn't immediately create an alarming noise?

Indeed, this is a very expensive drop. Making this bike "brand new" again, this would cost you at least €1500 on parts alone (EU parts prices). To give you an idea: for the middle fairing we pay +- €500 in Europe...

That why I installed crash pads as well...

Wow, that's crazy pricing!

I feel very lucky... I just order a replacement middle faring for $192.00us online (I am in Canada). I recently dropped the bike on its side (not moving) and to replace everything that was scratched (including mirror housing, inner silver fairing, middle fairing, and gear shift peddle was under $400.00us. I was heartbroken, but in the end I thought that was reasonable pricing for the parts...

Cheers;

Eric

Archived