Advice needed on 2010 new VFR purchase

Guest dez

Guest dez

I am posting this on the "other" site as well to get a good cross section of responses. I am new here, actually my first post.

I am considering purchasing a brand new 2010 VFR1200 DCT.

Typically I wouldn't consider a "controversial" motorcycle but they are over-allowing on my trade by about $2000-2500 and selling the bike for $11250. After my trade which I owe $900 on, I am out the door at $7400. (6500 before adding my payoff) Everything included. Trade - In is a 2009 Versys.

Considering the Versys is good for about $4200-4500 on the private market here ... They want this VFR gone ... (I have a deposit on it soo... ) tongue.gif

The other deal is they are tossing me a 2011 GSX1250FA with all 3 oem givi bags (brand new bike) same numbers, trade, etc at $6600 OTD ($800 less than the viffer 12 DCT)

should I be concerned about any of the negatives of this bike? Looks like I would be stuck with it for better or worse. Other thing is, The suzuki financing is 0% and Honda's is 3.9% over 60 mos.

Help me out here guys ... I am apprehensive about the bike ... why the smokin deal ?

The smokin deal is that it is a 2010 and they are trying to cut their losses and move on with the newer bikes. The 2012 had some nice updates I believe. Honda also seemed to over price it according to those in the know.

The GSX1250FA is a nice rig in general. It is a bit/alot-a-bit down on power compared the other bikes in the CC class but places like Holeshot http://www.holeshot.com/Bandit_1250/index.php can push out some better numbers.

My 2 cents

From what I have researched, the 2012 has been re-programmed for better economy. As a result, they took some peak away and added bottom and midrange. The French review I read, they said the top end was "neutered".

Now what I hope hasn't happened, is due to the out-cry of "flat-bottom end" and "poor economy" did they re-program the bike to kill the top end. This is exactly what suzuki had done to the Bandit 1200/1250.

I might be wrong, but then this may make the 2010 more desireable for those that prefer the rated horsepower of the machine. Or begs the question, will the 2010 be able to receive the "update" the 2012 received ... anyways, back to the topic at hand, SHOULD I BUY THIS THING OR DOES IT HAVE TOO MANY DRAWBACKS :tour:

I have almost 13k on mine still looking for the negatives, oh there could be a few enhancements but no negatives.

snip.

The French review I read, they said the top end was "neutered".

snip

I think the French are limited by law to 100HP. I think that is the neutering he is talking about.

Bill

I guess I didn't know this bike was controversial. I have found that if I don't listen to the people bitching on the interwebz, I actually enjoy the bike and don't look for things that may or may not be wrong with it.

I love my 2010. By FAR the most fun bike I have ever had. I would buy another one tomorrow.

This one year review pretty much sums up my feelings on the bike. It's not 100% perfect, but with a few aftermarket changes can be a damn nice bike. Like the review, if I had to buy another bike tomorrow, I would get another VFR1200.

I guess I didn't know this bike was controversial. I have found that if I don't listen to the people bitching on the interwebz, I actually enjoy the bike and don't look for things that may or may not be wrong with it.

I love my 2010. By FAR the most fun bike I have ever had. I would buy another one tomorrow.

I had the Bandit 1250 (2008) and traded it for the VFR1200 DCT after 2 years.of ownership. The Bandit was an excellent bike and very reliable. It had plenty of low end power and was quite fast. I had the Holeshot TFi unit installed, along with an aftermarket exhaust and it was a "sweet" bike. My only, I repeat, only dislike was the chain drive. However, i love my DCT just as much. Why not test ride both and decide for yourself?

Please don't believe all the negativity on the Internet about the VFR1200. Many people have never even ridden one, or only test rode it for a short time. It is an excellent bike and I would easily buy another one. It is a high quality bike and much faster than you might imagine. Just my 2 cents.

• Member Contributer

If you don't buy this, I might get it and mothball it for when I wear mine out. Holy smokes what a deal.

I had the Bandit 1250 (2008) and traded it for the VFR1200 DCT after 2 years.of ownership. The Bandit was an excellent bike and very reliable. It had plenty of low end power and was quite fast. I had the Holeshot TFi unit installed, along with an aftermarket exhaust and it was a "sweet" bike. My only, I repeat, only dislike was the chain drive. However, i love my DCT just as much. Why not test ride both and decide for yourself?

Please don't believe all the negativity on the Internet about the VFR1200. Many people have never even ridden one, or only test rode it for a short time. It is an excellent bike and I would easily buy another one. It is a high quality bike and much faster than you might imagine. Just my 2 cents.

Very nice reply... How was the riding position? Did the Bandit have significantly less pressure on wrists? Lower back? It looks like the GSX1250FA has a slightly more upright position than the 1200... I am 5'9" ... 31" inseam

Thanks in advance ... BTW, I looked at the quarter mile times and roll-on times for the DCT and GSX1250FA and the GSX is a tad quicker ... The DCT must be a choker out to 60 feet ... :huh: ... When the manual 1200 can run low 10's and the DCT runs mid 11's that is a bummer ... However I am not counting that as number one ... I have a Suzuki B-King for antics and 9 second runs ... It just looks like that huge dip in the curve would really piss me off considering it has 170 advertised at the crank.. (you gotta get through the bottom to get to the top without a clutch)

• Member Contributer

Thanks in advance ... BTW, I looked at the quarter mile times and roll-on times for the DCT and GSX1250FA and the GSX is a tad quicker ... The DCT must be a choker out to 60 feet ... :huh: ... When the manual 1200 can run low 10's and the DCT runs mid 11's that is a bummer ...

Just to throw this out there... the DCT is 60lbs heavier dry than the GSX. Might be the difference. Mind you, in the real world the Viffer drops like 200lbs once it's rolling over 10mph. :)

The dip in the power curve was a legitimate concern for me too... I THINK that bazazz has a fix for that on the DCT's? can anyone say for sure?

*edit* found this on another thread: "Does not work on DCT models" This mod is made only for the manual shift models. There is currently no way to de-restrict DCT models

For some reason on the internet the vfr1200 seems to be the bike to hate by those that have never ridden one. I'm glad I didn't read all the VFR negativity until after buying one. I LOVE mine. I bought it in December and already have almost 5000 miles on it. I can't seem to stay off of it even though I have a CBR1000RR and MV Agusta in the garage that now feel very neglected.

RE: Bandit 1250 vs VFR1200, this past weekend a good friend and I swapped bikes in the Ozarks for a few miles. As my friend said, the difference is night and day. The brakes, suspension and handling on the VFR are much better than the Bandit. We both also preferred the VFR motor to the Bandit's. But, I can see where some would prefer the Bandit's motor if they want to ride in 1 gear all the time...it doesn't seem to matter what rpm the Bandit is turning, the pull is the same. It seems to fuel a little better in the very low RPM range than the VFR too. The VFR's low end fueling doesn't bother me because I prefer to ride in a little higher rpm range anyway. RE: comfort the gel seat on my friend's Bandit is a little more comfortable than the VFR's. His big zero-gravity windscreen also gave more wind protection and his higher bars made the seating position slightly more comfortable on the straight roads. But, in the twisties where we LOVE to ride, we both preferred the VFR's "sportier" riding position to the Bandit's more upright "touring" position. In the end, we both strongly preferred the VFR for the kind of riding we do. He bought the Bandit for about $4000 less than I paid for the VFR. After riding both, I'm definitely glad I paid the extra $4000 to get the VFR and I think my friend wishes he had too

• Member Contributer

Fark me, an used non-DCT 2010 with 8k miles costs the equiv of $16,400 here.....

I rode the DCT, it is magic.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/67118-debbie-did-dallas/page__hl__dallas

As the Irish: say Fek the begrudgers :laugh:

From what I have researched, the 2012 has been re-programmed for better economy. As a result, they took some peak away and added bottom and midrange. The French review I read, they said the top end was "neutered".

Now what I hope hasn't happened, is due to the out-cry of "flat-bottom end" and "poor economy" did they re-program the bike to kill the top end. This is exactly what suzuki had done to the Bandit 1200/1250.

I might be wrong, but then this may make the 2010 more desireable for those that prefer the rated horsepower of the machine. Or begs the question, will the 2010 be able to receive the "update" the 2012 received ... anyways, back to the topic at hand, SHOULD I BUY THIS THING OR DOES IT HAVE TOO MANY DRAWBACKS :tour:

One advice: never read a French review if you want information for a +100 HP motorbike. Honda makes special PGM-FI's for France (100 HP limitation). On the 2010 model everything stops at 8000 RPM and the torque even goes down between 8000 an 10400 RPM....

Archived