Factory seat deterioration

Guest deklund

Guest deklund

Has anyone else had the vinyl disintegrate on their seat? The front top corner of mine has broken vinyl where it meets the tank. I'm surprised to see this on a two year old bike. I wasn't planning on a Sargent just yet...

Donpost-20524-0-44295400-1334847151.jpg

Normally I'd say sun damage, but this looks like(if not a factory defect) touching something has caused it (sitting it on end when the seats off,etc.).

The Sun is your worst enemy, if you get a aftermarket seat and park in the sun a lot have a slip on seat cover made.

The bike is garaged except when it's parked at work and even then, there is plenty of shade. When you look up close you can see that the vinyl they used is paper thin.

The bike is garaged except when it's parked at work and even then, there is plenty of shade. When you look up close you can see that the vinyl they used is paper thin.

Yes I enlarged the pic to look at it. So, do you put the seat on end when it's off the bike? Whatever it to early for that from no contact.

• Member Contributer

Seems like a trip to the dealer would be a good idea.

They might:

1. Take care of the problem.

2. Set a time to have their Honda rep. take a look at it.

It certainly looks like a lot less than what I would expect from Honda.

I hope your dealer takes care of you and provides you with a new seat.

You mention Sargent. I don't have experience with them, but I do, have a Corbin.

It's just now broken in at 1000 miles. Was wondering if it was worth the extra expense, but now I'm convinced it was well worth it. It just takes some time to get it broken in right. BTW, if you go that route, give them your height and weight.

The guy who recovered my seat predicted this would happen with the factory seats. Apparently they're using the same method method as has been used on some forklift trucks for a while, the cover and foam are bonded together which means due to differing expansion and stretch properties of the two materials cracking is inevitable.

Archived