Need advice in heated grips

onokiyo

Hi all,

I have my VFR1200FD for a couple of weeks now and really in love with it and I want to install the heated grips so I can ride it during the cold days. OEM heated grips is $270 + shipping from this site but the Oxford heated grips kit is $200 less and others from older VFR generations seem to like it a lot. I'm wondering if anyone here have installed the Oxford on the VFR1200 can give me some advices because I don't see there is any room left for mounting the I/O switch.

Thank you very much.

Phien

I installed an aftermarket heated grip and seems to work fine, at the end of the day it's only a heated element. I have heated gloves and rarely use the heated grips, the gloves are so much more effective in keeping your hands warm.

• Member Contributer

A little advise on herbing heated glove i have experienced with. Do not use the glove without the controller. I burnt myself for direct connect to the battery!!!

I purchased the OEM heated grips when I got my bike. They do really look great and integrate as if not even there. They require a wiring harness that does not come with the heated grip kit. (?) Total price to me was $350.00 with labor.

I would install a set of Dual Star heated grips for $30 and opt for the extra $5 for the better 3 way switch.

Yes heated gloves work good, but I can't stand the bulk and you never know when you might hit cool weather out on a ride. So if your not packing the gloves your screwed!

With heated grips, just flip the switch and Awwwwwww goodness!

For the most part I run summer gloves w/heated grips down into the 40's and insulated gloves down into the 20's.

BR

I would install a set of Dual Star heated grips for $30 and opt for the extra $5 for the better 3 way switch.

Yes heated gloves work good, but I can't stand the bulk and you never know when you might hit cool weather out on a ride. So if your not packing the gloves your screwed!

With heated grips, just flip the switch and Awwwwwww goodness!

For the most part I run summer gloves w/heated grips down into the 40's and insulated gloves down into the 20's.

BR

^^^This. I put a set of Symtecs (very similar and possibly the same thing) on mine and they work fantastically. Plus you can use whatever grips you like. I bought 3 more sets just in case they ever go out of business and I need another set. They have become standard equipment on all my bikes.

I have OEM on my VFR ($250) and the Oxford grips on the KLR ($80) - the Oxford grips are much warmer and a lot cheaper. If I did it again I'd buy the Oxford ones. I don't like being 'wired' to the bike - wireless heated vest and heated grips are much more practical IMHO.

I got the OE heated grips and very happy with them. I nearly got the Oxford grips but preferred the look of the OE so paid the extra. The weather is not that extreme here and so far never used them except on lowest setting when traveling in 5 degrees C weather.

Add another to those preferring heated gloves. I've used Gerbing's heated gear for more than 25 years with excellent service; including a minor failure in the jacket liner wiring after 17 years. Replacement at no charge, no shipping cost. Perhaps some don't ride in very cold temperatures where the backs of your hands and the tips of your fingers are in the wind blast. Despite being old enough to know better I still often ride in below freezing temperatures for serious distances, (100, 200 miles), just for breakfast with friends. another reason: Perhaps some riders don't switch betwixt multiple bikes in cold weather. With a battery connection on each bike the jacket liner and the gloves go from bike to bike. Good fortune, R3~

Archived