Another fan cooled rectifier

Grilldemon

Watching my voltmeter while synching my carbs a couple weeks ago. Hitting 15-15.3 volts at idle. R/R getting real warm. After reading tons of posts about using cpu fans to cool this vital component, I started to think about doing same.

I found a fan at the local electronics supply:

post-22926-0-70904500-1334506801.jpg

I scavenged some metal standoffs from an old computer carcass I had lying around (sometimes it pays to be a packrat)

and secured them between the fins with some Devcon Plastic steel (something that should be on every workbench)

post-22926-0-75602400-1334506932.jpg

With the mounts secured, I cleaned the fins with emery cloth and some lacquer thinner (another must have in the shop) and applied thermal grease and screwed down the mounts. It's a little small, but I don't have much room between the side panel and R/R. The body and fins are copper, so it should help draw the heat. It is set up to draw air in. My computer buddy told me I can reverse the polarity and it will reverse the fan rotation. I'll try it both ways, see which one works better.

post-22926-0-37603000-1334507335.jpg

This is on my 84 VF1000F with 53,000km. The stator checks out fine. At idle, I get 13.8 volts with the fan on. I will have to replace the R/R eventually. For $20.00, it'll hold me over till I get a new one. Also gonna get a new stator and have it on the shelf.

I had a standard PC case fan on mine for awhile. Tapped the power from the license plate light circuit.

After awhile, the fan quit, I assume it didn't like living outdoors. I never replaced it.

The connector below and to the right of the RR looks to be in bad shape.

Actually, internally, it's in good shape, clean terminals and fresh dielectric. The exterior of it could use a scrub. PO had some kind of black goo all over it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

This fan is my 2nd attempt, It actuall works great as it fits just perfectly to draw in cool air from the vent on the side of the cowl and surprisingly pushes alot of air cross it and out the back. The aluminum bracket actually gives more surface area to transfer heat on the back as well.

post-24095-0-74829400-1338761741.jpg

post-24095-0-93901800-1338761758.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

This fan is my 2nd attempt, It actuall works great as it fits just perfectly to draw in cool air from the vent on the side of the cowl and surprisingly pushes alot of air cross it and out the back. The aluminum bracket actually gives more surface area to transfer heat on the back as well.

Nice....

What fan is this....looks like it is working like a blower

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just did the same (wired to the fuse block) to cool that hot spot. We'll see...

I think it will still run a little hot as it is close the radiator...

Archived