Tapp Lite USB Power Port

jbackus4

Tapp Lite USB Charger

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had installed one of these? I bought it but I'm having a difficult time finding a good spot. I could have opted for the Powerlet for the center of the bars but I have a Ram-Mount there to hold my GoPro and another Ram-Mount installed onto the two bolts that hold the gas tank so this was my only option.

If you've installed one, could you send a picture of where you placed the port?

Thanks,

JohnB

I was thinking about getting one of those too. I would probably just zip-tie it to the brake/clutch line or wiring harness going to the handlebars though. Not sure I would really "mount" it somewhere in particular.

• 6 months later...

I have a look alike USB socket.

It made by BurnsMoto: http://burnsmoto.com...eatherproof.php

They shipped directly to me in Vietnam. All for cheaper than the Tap Lite USB.

This is exactly what I got, including a BurnsMoto sticker:

usb-power-socket-cable.jpg

I choose to install the socket attaching to the side frame, by the ABS controller 's bolt.

When I use the original plastic clamp, it came to be like this:

DSC04845-1.jpg

However, I think I was lucky that the clamp broken when I tried to tighten it. Much better than it would break itself while riding due to vibration or over heated.

It's not too difficult to make a replacement - May not be so nice but it fits and works great:

DSC04854.jpg

Here is how the socket is installed:

DSC04860-1.jpg

DSC04865-1.jpg

There is still a reasonable air gap btw the front fork and the socket:

DSC04861.jpg

Overview:

DSC04864.jpg

I connected the wire directly to the battery (not going thru the ignition lock). I also added a 1A fuse and a ON/OFF switch.

I am still not sure where I should locate the On/off switch. All are now under the seat:

DSC04852.jpg

Next is to find the best location for the switch, and find something to modify the USB pin as the waterproof one. ($10 for the rubber seal from BurnsMoto is too much)

I actually ended up with the BurnsMoto one as well. I didn't permanetly mount it though. I just put an SAE 2-pin connector on it so I can plug it into my Battery Tender lead and charge things as needed. It is long enough to reach my saddle bag or tank bag. I can also let my girlfriend use it on her bike if she needs to charge something since she has a Battery Tender lead as well.

Archived