5th Gen Movistar Project - Small update 28-May

CatiePotatie

• 2 weeks later...

Not thinner, about the same thickness all round. The main difference is being completely ABS plastic instead of fibreglass + whatever else they'd use in the originals.

I've seen no flapping about, and they are quite rigid both on and off the bike.

Only thing I'd be worried about is if you crash with ABS fairings, instead of road rash they may shatter or crack rather easy.

@BarossaBill:

I have no plans to keep the original wheel after I have an alternate solution sorted, but this could be a while off.

Hi rescue,

The material thickness around the bolt holes was thinner on mine, but I was expecting it (after reading all the reviews) and had purchased some rubber washers with a large enough hole to allow the stepped bolt to pass through and just nip up as it was applying pressure to the fairing.

I took it for a blast through the Adelaide hills last weekend, and it behaved exactly like the originals with no vibration or flapping around.

I am still interested to know who you got yours from DragonCypher as it would appear that the Motostars (which I got) are different to yours. Even the Movistar from Motostar looked slightly different to yours. DHGate have quite a few different suppliers on their site.

I bought from the seller kent988, though he doesn't currently have the movistar listing available.

I did notice the slight differences in design between ours, and I can say that mine matches perfectly to what was displayed on kent988's listing.. though none of them quite match the original motoGP version, which is to be expected.

Very happy with the end result though.

• 2 weeks later...

Squidzilla,

I never put mine on the scales, but they were noticeably lighter when I was assembling them. I wouldn't be suprised to find around a 20% reduction in weight, but that wouldn't equate to more than a couple of Kilo's total.

Dragon,

I can't quite put my finger on which Movistar they are trying to replicate. 2003 (Sete Gibernau 15) seems closest to the basic design that mine was supposed to look like. It had the Green Castrol down low, with the Michelin logo above then a strip of light green chequered flag look above. But it also had the Telefonica logo above "Movistar".

Yours is more similar to the 2005 (Marco Milandri 33) I think. That is when Black Prince and the plain Yellow stripes appeared together, and it's also when the word "Movistar" was angled upwards instead of downwards.

Anyway who gives a #@*!... They are Chinese copies and regardless of accuracy, they look damn fine!!

Archived