Aluminum hardbags.

Guest Torkisgood

Guest Torkisgood

Hello all, new to the forum and to my vfr. I bought a used 2006 abs. I love the bike. It has the factory hardbags. They look great and seem to function quite well. I really like having bags on the bike and am not the kind of rider that that takes them off and on. However, with a very active 8 yr old and 6 yr old boys I feel like the paint on my bags will not last- not sure of the color code but it is a metallic black with very large flake and scuffs very easily. I also like the ease of top load bags. Here is the ?. Is there any aluminum bags on the market that fit on the factory frame- and yes I know they will look garish. But they function great.

• Member Contributer

Is there any aluminum bags on the market that fit on the factory frame

First, welcome to VFRD!

Second, it's not a bad question - but you're not the first to ask it. See this thread from a year ago: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/63666-stupid-luggage-question/

To sum up:

- It's possible to mount aluminum bags.

- You need to use a different rack for those, so you'll need to remove the rack for the factory bags.

- It is up to you to decide whether you sell the factory bags & factory rack, or hold on to them till you decide to sell the bike. But keep in mind that any buyer for the bags is likely to need the factory mounting rack, too. So you probably want to keep them together. (That is to say, you'll probably want to keep both bags & rack, or sell both bags & rack. If that makes sense.)

Again, welcome!

Ron

Welcome, rather than going for all new/different bags, how about getting some clear shield for the bags. I can speak from experience, kids nonwithstanding, bags attract boots, like a friggin leather magnet. Good luck with your search!!

The TRAX luggage mentioned in the post above have been really good on my KLR and will fit a VFR. I even had a 'relatively' slow low side in gravel, have dropped the bike off road several times, and the bags have been fine. You can get nylon carrying bags for the inside for relatively cheap as well. Much cheaper than the factory Honda luggage.

Thanks, after looking at the price maybe I will just forbid my boys to enter the garage... Where to put their bicycles? Seriously, who sells the bag protectors? Is it a clear stick- on thingy like the knee wells on the tank?

There are several variations out there, but something like this is what I was speaking of. I have never used it, nor am I advertising for this particular product, just an idea.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/Solutions/For_the_Consumer/

BTW, if your concern was your boys causing actual damage to the bags, they're gonna have to try really hard to break em, ask me how I ........dropped my bike on one on a concrete floor, hard..................know.

Archived