BT-016 Review

kebrider

• Member Contributer

I mentioned last year that I picked up a couple of sets of the Bridgestone BT-016s from Chaparral for the delivered-to-my-door price of around $180. I also mentioned last year (about 50 times) that I relocated to East TN from Central Florida. I was warned by those that know (BR) that tires wear a little differently in the mountains of TN, GA, NC than good old CFL. Sage wisdom. 1,733 miles and the 016 front is toast while the rear probably has 500 miles or so but it has cupped so much I will keep it for a get home tire for my FL buds.

The 016s replaced my 023s that I tested and they were an immediate improvement in grip and nuetrality though the 023s were decent and either tire will allow you to enjoy twisties with minimal drama, just a mph or 2 below what a better sport tire will allow. I put the 16s on late last year so they stayed on the bike through the winter and were used in a lot of cool weather riding which may explain part of their short life.

The 016s got hard as a rock at the end of their life so i suspect they did not like repetitive heat cycles and then sitting for the winter. They were fine last year and I have another set ready to go so I will save them for warmer weather to see if the mileage improves. I don't mind 1,700 from a tire if all the miles are quality and the tire remains consistent. The 016s were decent but not at the level of the competitors. I will not be buying anymore but anyone on a first cost budget could do a lot worse.

KEB

Pics, front on top and rear on the bottom.

post-1814-0-24019200-1333982844.jpg

post-1814-0-73371600-1333982883.jpg

• Member Contributer

I made the mistake of showing up at TMAC 3 years ago with BT16 on the bike. They had 1000miles of slab on them when I got there and had to be replaced before I rode home.

Was a real eye opener as well for me as the set the year before had gone 8000miles no problem, riding in Ontario LOL.

Put 23s on last year, rode to TMAC and back and all summer riding 2 up and a pair of weekends in the Lake Placid area with my brother on his CBR. They are still on the bike for this years TMAC but I think I might hit Wheelers for a new set before I head for home as they are pushing 10,000miles and tires are half the price than here at home. And with the dollar being even, I'd be a fool not too.

I'm just now replacing my BT-016's with PR2's. I got two riding seasons and 10,500 miles out of the 016's. I ride 80% touring and 20% sport on the roads in mostly CT, but all New England. I figured it was pretty high mileage for a set of tires. My only true complaint about the tire was the fact that toward the end of the tire life, there developed a ridge in both the front and rear tires. Other than that, they treated me well. My tires looked alot like yours kebrider. My new shoes are being mounted on the rims as we speak, so I should be up and running (with all the other maintenance completed) by the end of the weekend. Just in time for 70 deg. weather.

• 1 month later...

I run Bt-16's on my GSXR1000. If I ride in Ontario which doesn't have a lot of particularly twisty roads,

I get about 4000 miles out of a set. Went to the Gap last September with the tires only half worn, and they wore out in less than 600 miles. Got a new set at Wheelers. Great price and service. I highly recommend both them and the tires.

• Member Contributer

I made the mistake of showing up at TMAC 3 years ago with BT16 on the bike. They had 1000miles of slab on them when I got there and had to be replaced before I rode home.

Was a real eye opener as well for me as the set the year before had gone 8000miles no problem, riding in Ontario LOL.

Put 23s on last year, rode to TMAC and back and all summer riding 2 up and a pair of weekends in the Lake Placid area with my brother on his CBR. They are still on the bike for this years TMAC but I think I might hit Wheelers for a new set before I head for home as they are pushing 10,000miles and tires are half the price than here at home. And with the dollar being even, I'd be a fool not too.

Could take a half a day at Wheelers try this guys. He has been used before at TMAC and does a great job.

http://ridewnc.com/

And he is a fellow member .............

Archived