Z-Bomb Review

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

sorry, but what are we talking about here?

Thinking it's this here Bazaz product. http://bazzaz.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=26&Itemid=181

Didn't see one for anything but the 7th gen vfr.

I just bought one, I hope it is all that everyone says it is.

I put the Z-Bomb on the bike today but, I have only taken the bike up & down the street in 1st gear and could feel the difference immediately because the front wheel floated effortlessly.

As I've posted a few other places, I am waiting on the delivery of my z-bomb (Monday delivery, I've been told)

Not interested in floating the front wheel, necessarily. Looking to fill the power "hole" in 1st and 2nd, and I've read enough reviews, I'm convinced that it will do that. ALSO, I'm looking to get rid of the jerkiness in 1st and 2nd gear.

Have I bought the right product, or do I need to keep looking?

HVRNAUT (and others that have this unit);

Does this product actually change and smooth the initial on/off throttle input and indeed remove the "jerkyness" in first and second gear, or does it strictly fill in the power dip?

Eric

In my observation, it fills in the power dip which smoothes out the power. I had a PC-V which had already helped the on/off throttle transition. I have owned several injected bikes and not one of them was smooth on/off throttle. The closest was probably my 2000 VFR's (yes, I owned two at different times because it was so good.......5th gen maybe the best sport VFR). PC-V or not, this is the best bang for the buck of any bike I have ever owned. Buy it. If you don't like it, take it off and sell it here for a $25 loss. Cheap, cheap, cheap experiment for you. You won't take it off though.

Ride safe

Mark

I am in love with my VFR all over again and this time I mean it, wow!

The exhaust sounds better now because the flapper valve opens sooner somewhere around 4000rpm in 1st & 2nd gears, she is more thrilling to ride now and my shitty gas mileage is just going to get worse.

Will the z-bomb work on the DCT? Bazzaz.net states (The Honda VFR1200F Z-Bomb eliminates performance restrictions imposed on bike via stock ignition timing. The simple plug in unit installs in minutes. The Z-Bomb integrates perfectly with all the Z-Fi EMS products as well as other aftermarket tuning units. [Part No. O350] - Does not work on DCT models -) but I thought that this mod was made primarily for the DCT models.

I'm a new owner who's picking up my 2010 DCT tomorrow. I traded in an 08 cbr600rr and will post transaction details and introduction in a thread at a later date. Right now I'm dying to order the z-bomb if I can. If I can't, is there a way to unrestrict the DCT? If you have purchased the z-bomb for the DCT would you please reply with the part number and website purchased?

Thanks,

Kevin

Will the z-bomb work on the DCT? Bazzaz.net states (The Honda VFR1200F Z-Bomb eliminates performance restrictions imposed on bike via stock ignition timing. The simple plug in unit installs in minutes. The Z-Bomb integrates perfectly with all the Z-Fi EMS products as well as other aftermarket tuning units. [Part No. O350] - Does not work on DCT models -) but I thought that this mod was made primarily for the DCT models.

I'm a new owner who's picking up my 2010 DCT tomorrow. I traded in an 08 cbr600rr and will post transaction details and introduction in a thread at a later date. Right now I'm dying to order the z-bomb if I can. If I can't, is there a way to unrestrict the DCT? If you have purchased the z-bomb for the DCT would you please reply with the part number and website purchased?

Thanks,

Kevin

"Does not work on DCT models" This mod is made only for the manual shift models. There is currently no way to de-restrict DCT models

Thanks,

Kevin

"Does not work on DCT models" This mod is made only for the manual shift models. There is currently no way to de-restrict DCT models

unlike the manual ,the DCT's gear indicator is playing a crusial part on how the automatic transmision works

I think that if they hook the 1st and 2nd gear on the 6th sensor instead of the 3rd the result will be the same in power delivery, but the gear indicator will read 6 - 6 3 4 5 6 instead of 3 - 3 3 4 5 6. you can't mistake 1st or 2rd for 6th as it can hapen now with 2nd and 3rd. Just a thought.

This is the best upgrade for the money. A 15 minute install and it’s like a new bike. The neutral indicator still works 1st, 2nd and 3rd all read as 3rd. The factory detuning bothered me every time I rode my bike. It is nice to have it running the way it is supposed to be.

Thanks Bazzaz and everyone involved. This mod is awesome.

Installed the z-bomb yesterday and took the bike out for a 15 minute jaunt. Going back out today for much longer :tour:

All in all, this is a great modification, and I do highly recommend it. The bike felt smoother, more powerful in the two lower gears, and most importantly, as has been mentioned here before, the power delivery was more consistent.

The gear indicator is a pain in the ass. It's a personal issue, for sure. Some won't care, and be happy the power issue is fixed. Me? Well, this is the first bike I've ever had that had a gear indicator. That's good and bad. Good, in the fact that I've ridden thousands of miles without one, and bad in the sense that I really enjoyed (finally) having it!

The tip about rpm's on the tach, and mph on the speedo matching in second gear, is a valuable one. Helps sort out the issue in your head, as you ride.

This bike puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. That said, I'm not sure I would have looked at other options had I known this issue was there. It really pisses me off that Honda would do this. (Not to mention the lack of fuel, miles to empty computer on a "tourer")

Maybe one day (probably soon) when the 2012 models are not selling, and the selling price plummets 35%, I'll consider upgrading to a shiny blue one.

Installed the z-bomb yesterday and took the bike out for a 15 minute jaunt. Going back out today for much longer :tour:

All in all, this is a great modification, and I do highly recommend it. The bike felt smoother, more powerful in the two lower gears, and most importantly, as has been mentioned here before, the power delivery was more consistent.

The gear indicator is a pain in the ass. It's a personal issue, for sure. Some won't care, and be happy the power issue is fixed. Me? Well, this is the first bike I've ever had that had a gear indicator. That's good and bad. Good, in the fact that I've ridden thousands of miles without one, and bad in the sense that I really enjoyed (finally) having it!

The tip about rpm's on the tach, and mph on the speedo matching in second gear, is a valuable one. Helps sort out the issue in your head, as you ride.

This bike puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. That said, I'm not sure I would have looked at other options had I known this issue was there. It really pisses me off that Honda would do this. (Not to mention the lack of fuel, miles to empty computer on a "tourer")

Maybe one day (probably soon) when the 2012 models are not selling, and the selling price plummets 35%, I'll consider upgrading to a shiny blue one.

Bazzaz also made a plug n play fuel injection unit for about $750 that should leave your indicator working properly, give you adjustable traction control,and fix that infamus hole in 1st and 2nd, I don't know first hand how well is working but it's not there first time around the block, so it should be good.

Bazzaz also made a plug n play fuel injection unit for about $750 that should leave your indicator working properly, give you adjustable traction control,and fix that infamus hole in 1st and 2nd, I don't know first hand how well is working but it's not there first time around the block, so it should be good.

I know Bazzaz has done some great things to improve the performance of this bike. Of the things you've listed, I don't think they were able do anything about the gear indicator. There are some previous post on this site, and others, (from Bazzaz reps) that state that fact.

If they have, or will fix that small annoyance, I'll buy it in a New York minute!

What about an aftermarket gear position indicator?

I woulder if you could use one of those.

Then for like $180.00 both are fixed.

I considering the Bazzaz unit myself and wondered if that would work.

I thought that the gear position indicator would hard to get used to but after riding two or three times, I don't even look at it. Maybe it's just me being an old ass but my 1200 is the first bike I've ever had that showed more than a green neutral light.

I thought that the gear position indicator would hard to get used to but after riding two or three times, I don't even look at it. Maybe it's just me being an old ass but my 1200 is the first bike I've ever had that showed more than a green neutral light.

I just installed the Z-bomb this morning at 4500 miles on the odo. I should have done it as soon as it became available; a whole different bike around town, I WAS a little concerned about tractability, but if anything that is IMPROVED.

Kudos to Bazazz for their pricing; it's high enough to make them a good margin, but just low enough that the customer says "Ow Ow Ow you're killing me! $70 for some wires, two plugs and a lump of epoxy! That's outrageous! Here's my credit card number."

Don't make my mistake; get the Z-bomb right now.

This is my second bike with a gear indicator; it sure is sweet, and I wish there was a way to keep it. Considering the improvement to the low-speed tractability, though, the gear indicator was a justifiable sacrifice.

My only complaint is that Bazazz doesn't include a nice sticker for the swing arm.

I hate to say this, but for about $5, I did the same thing using Dutchgixxer's instructions. The gear readout is exactly the same as the expensive Z-bomb as is the fixed hole in gears 1 and 2. The $5 I spent was for a switch which would restore the hole in the first two gears and also restore the gear readout to work as delivered. I used some telephone wire (which has 4 leads) and had a bunch lying around. I can appreciate what the Z-bomb does, but damn, at what price???? I can spend the day up in the mountains including gas and two meals for that money.

Kudos to Dutchgixxer for his research and the diagrams he posted on this board.

Sredder

10 VFR

08 FJR

05 FJR

Other toys

Archived