Fuel Pump - Fuel Filter questions on my new 5 Generation1999 VFR800

Guest txsandman

Guest txsandman

Great Forum!

Questions about my new non-running 1999 VFR800 - it sat up for 5 years with nasty 90/10 Gas / Ethanol. 8000 miles.

Tank is filled with a coat or medium thick rust and i am think of just the fuel pump - since removing the tank is a TOTAL PAIN IN MY _______.

Will a 2002 VFR800 fuel pump work - there is nice I found?

How many of you put a remote fuel filter in the high pressure line to give you better access to replacing it and to make it easier to drain the tank?

Since i have some rust in my tank I will probably have to be replacing mine more often.

Thank you for any help!!!!

Hi, and welcome to VFRd. I can vouch that a 5th gen pump works in a 6th gen tank because I have that on my bike now.

So they should bolt up, I just don't know how different the pickup is on the 6th gen. But the flanges are identical for sure.

As you know, the stock fuel filter is inside the fuel tank, where any leaks would not cause a hazard, just low fuel pressure and probably a bike that doesn't run.

It would be possible to put a filter outside the tank, but you would have to be certain that the filter and connections can handle 36 PSI easily and safely with no leaks.

Standard automotive plastic flters and cheapo spring clamps aren't up to the task, look at modern autos with fuel injection and see what kind of setups they use for filters.

All steel bodies and quick-couplers, not clamps.

Archived