vfr 1200 or zx-14 2012??

Guest rapsidy

There seems to be a lot of people coming off of C14s to go to the 1200. Myself included. You would never guess it by how much hate there is for this bike on the Concours forums.

The ZX14 is a really good bike but it and the 1200 are two different beasts altogether. For me its less about comparing the two bikes tit for tat and more about knowing what you want to do with the bike and comparing each bike against your riding style. I had similar needs as the above poster (good handling in the curves and short touring). Add to that I need to put my gf on the back sometimes, have a small amount of wind protection and carry stuff in lockable hardbags that look factory and my choice was easy. Prices are getting better and I bought early on so it was expensive but price was not on my list of things I needed. I want what I want.

I was looking very seriously at the Triumph Sprint GT which was $23000 with the bags when the VFR1200 was $33000 for the same kit plus had shaft drive. I just thought $10000 too much extra but then Honda dropped the price $10000 for old model year so I bought the VFR. Now Triumph has dropped the GT $3000 but I still think the VFR is the better package. Nice ergos, capable in twisties, nice finish and i liked red. I didn't,t consider the 14 but then I was moving up from a R1150R so power alone was not the main issue, all these bikes were much quicker.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with 4um and Tin, the VFR is the best all rounder, the way things are right now I'll be keeping mine for a while, I'd been hanging on for the 2012 ZZR but in my opinion by making it longer and quicker its pigeon-holed it even further.

Now I'm just hoping Honda will fit cruise onto the 2014 model so I can plan my next change. In the meantime I'll keep pi**ing myself with laughter every time my mate runs wide in the twisties on his ZZR (or as this is a US forum should I call it a ZX).

Weight does matter and if the VFR carried it's weight the same way AND weighed 100lbs less, the handling would be unreal.

Show me where 100lbs could be saved without diminishing the quality of the bike and / or pricing it completely out of the market.

The new Ducati 1198 is super light but it is 30k and must be a bear to work on since the engine is part of the frame structure. Yea they dropped the weight but at what cost? There are probably a few things that could have been done in design to make the VFR lighter but 100 pounds would have been hard to do while still keeping it shaft drive and big enough to be comfy on. Personally I wish it was a chain drive for my own selfish reasons but I guess you cant make the perfect bike for each individual.

This is just one of those bikes that every time I haven't ridden it for a while I wonder why I bought it emphasizing the negatives (its too heavy for a true sport bike and not as comfy as a 700lb sport tourer) but when I ride it it is like "Oh yea. That is why I bought it" since being on it accentuates all the positives (a heavier sport bike that I can ride for 5 hours at a time).

Personally I wish it was a chain drive for my own selfish reasons but I guess you cant make the perfect bike for each individual.

Really? Being shaft drive was one of my main criteria for the bike.

Just kind of miss the ease of changing gearing, weight reduction and higher HP at wheel that a chain provides. But the ease of maintenance with the shaft is nice too. At least this shaft drive is way cool looking. :happy:

All I can say is AWESOME im like a little kid giggling riding this thing :laugh:

Oh i bought the VFR red with hard cases for $19990.(zroyz i spoke with honda aus and they said the 2012 model was not coming here, and if it does it wont be at a price i can afford)

After riding the VFR i can see why PHOBE and others have defended it so much, and how i now know that all the people who

wrote negative things about this bike, really arent worth listening to, ( journalist that is, people of course are intitled to there opinion and i respect that) it is simple amazing ! to me I love it straight out of the box.

The only negative about this bike was the price which has now been rectified here in aus.

I have owned blackbirds, busas, vtec vfr, gtr 1400 and have always said my perfect bike was to put the power of the

blackbird into the characteristics of the vfr. They have done this withe vfr 1200f and i cant be happier :tour:

I have finally found the bike i have been searching for , for so long

Thank you Honda, for putting it finally at a decent price.

90% think its ugly . I think its a stunner and cant stop looking at it.. And that folks is ALL that counts

woo hooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :laugh: :laugh:

• 2 years later...

Bike week was here in Arizona about a week ago. I rode 4 bikes total and my favorite by far was ZX14. The bike is nimble, responsive, comfortable, and fast. The lady leading our pack was on a ZX10 and was definitely a spirited rider. On the twisties the bike was planted, on the straight-aways the bike pulls away with a beautiful grunt. The next day, I jumped on my VFR1200 and felt the difference. The VFR gets to the same speeds but with a different vocalization. On the twisties the VFR is more brisk than the ZX14. Also, the low end torque on the VFR is much better than the ZX14. I had to rev the ZX14 to above 6K to get the torque that I needed. I did notice that the VFR is being a little restricted around 1st and 2nd gear. However, 2nd gear is long and once I get it passed 5K it growled beautifully. I don't think the restriction is an issue.

The other aspects are as follows:

- The brakes on the VFR are better and stopping is unmached for the size.

- The VFR is a shaft drive not chain like ZX14

- The VFR has a simpler instrument scheme with better finish

- The ZX14 is longer than the VFR. At first I thought I was on a boat.

- The VFR has a little better mileage.

- The ZX14 does have traction control. However, the 2012 VFR1200 does have traction control (my 2010 does not)

- The VFR just looks sexier than the ZX14

I most definitely like the ZX14 and maybe if I had the money and the garage space I would have bought it.

Good luck with your decision.

Nassar

It's like we rode 2 different bikes. Every dyno, including my butt dyno, said that the ZX-14 (and R version) had more low end grunt. I absolutely did NOT need to rev it above 6000 to get torque, it makes more torque at 6000rpms than the VFR1200 does at peek. (Look it up.) Keeping in mind I liked the VFR just fine! (And I don't own a ZX-14) Both bikes can make even more, well into STUPID power, by replacing the exhaust system and dyno tuning it.

• The ZX-14's brakes (both) felt marginally better...but only a test would know for sure.
  • The VFR is shaft, which is great for maintanence, bad for gearing/drive train loss
  • The VFR has a simple instrument scheme, but in no way was the Kawi's even below average
  • As, rather embarassingly, pointed out the VFR has the longer wheelbase
  • Fuel mileage is a wash, but the ZX14 has a bigger tank for more range
  • Both have TC and ABS after 2012
  • Handling is a wash. VFR people favor the VFR, ZX people favor the ZX and following your friend proves nothing. It would need to be a timed course with the same rider to find out which handles better
  • Looks have no place in a factual list. I like the looks of all 3, the ZX-14, ZX-14R and VFR1200. So what?
  • ZX14 = 555 wet, ZX14R = 582 wet, VFR = 589 wet

Here's a list of other things

Honda neutered the shit out of 1st and 2nd gear. Getting a Z-Bomb or ECU reflash deals with this. The ZX-14 has secondary butterflies for limited power usage on the 06/07 models, they can be removed by anyone with time and a screwdriver. The 08 - 11 ZX14 have a much softer restriction (and you can still remove the secondaries entirely) and the new 14R has no power restriction, the launch control is it's 'restriction'

The VFR gets luggage. ZX14 is a 'hyper bike' that gets made into a sport tourer by many, as such, no luggage. (Kawi would point you to the C14)

Lastly, and sadly, the ZX-14 and 14R are successes...the VFR isn't. No matter how much we want it to be. Let's hope Honda keeps the 1200 going, and refreshes it every so many years.

ZX14R actually feels like a larger and longer bike than the VFR1200. The rider triangle stretched me out more and the fairing feels more massive. Riding it feels like straddling an ICBM, in more sense than one.

Bike week was here in Arizona about a week ago. I rode 4 bikes total and my favorite by far was ZX14. The bike is nimble, responsive, comfortable, and fast. The lady leading our pack was on a ZX10 and was definitely a spirited rider. On the twisties the bike was planted, on the straight-aways the bike pulls away with a beautiful grunt. The next day, I jumped on my VFR1200 and felt the difference. The VFR gets to the same speeds but with a different vocalization. On the twisties the VFR is more brisk than the ZX14. Also, the low end torque on the VFR is much better than the ZX14. I had to rev the ZX14 to above 6K to get the torque that I needed. I did notice that the VFR is being a little restricted around 1st and 2nd gear. However, 2nd gear is long and once I get it passed 5K it growled beautifully. I don't think the restriction is an issue.

The other aspects are as follows:

- The brakes on the VFR are better and stopping is unmached for the size.

- The VFR is a shaft drive not chain like ZX14

- The VFR has a simpler instrument scheme with better finish

- The ZX14 is longer than the VFR. At first I thought I was on a boat.

- The VFR has a little better mileage.

- The ZX14 does have traction control. However, the 2012 VFR1200 does have traction control (my 2010 does not)

- The VFR just looks sexier than the ZX14

I most definitely like the ZX14 and maybe if I had the money and the garage space I would have bought it.

Good luck with your decision.

Nassar

It's like we rode 2 different bikes. Every dyno, including my butt dyno, said that the ZX-14 (and R version) had more low end grunt. I absolutely did NOT need to rev it above 6000 to get torque, it makes more torque at 6000rpms than the VFR1200 does at peek. (Look it up.) Keeping in mind I liked the VFR just fine! (And I don't own a ZX-14) Both bikes can make even more, well into STUPID power, by replacing the exhaust system and dyno tuning it.

• The ZX-14's brakes (both) felt marginally better...but only a test would know for sure.
  • The VFR is shaft, which is great for maintanence, bad for gearing/drive train loss
  • The VFR has a simple instrument scheme, but in no way was the Kawi's even below average
  • As, rather embarassingly, pointed out the VFR has the longer wheelbase
  • Fuel mileage is a wash, but the ZX14 has a bigger tank for more range
  • Both have TC and ABS after 2012
  • Handling is a wash. VFR people favor the VFR, ZX people favor the ZX and following your friend proves nothing. It would need to be a timed course with the same rider to find out which handles better
  • Looks have no place in a factual list. I like the looks of all 3, the ZX-14, ZX-14R and VFR1200. So what?
  • ZX14 = 555 wet, ZX14R = 582 wet, VFR = 589 wet

Here's a list of other things

Honda neutered the shit out of 1st and 2nd gear. Getting a Z-Bomb or ECU reflash deals with this. The ZX-14 has secondary butterflies for limited power usage on the 06/07 models, they can be removed by anyone with time and a screwdriver. The 08 - 11 ZX14 have a much softer restriction (and you can still remove the secondaries entirely) and the new 14R has no power restriction, the launch control is it's 'restriction'

The VFR gets luggage. ZX14 is a 'hyper bike' that gets made into a sport tourer by many, as such, no luggage. (Kawi would point you to the C14)

Lastly, and sadly, the ZX-14 and 14R are successes...the VFR isn't. No matter how much we want it to be. Let's hope Honda keeps the 1200 going, and refreshes it every so many years.

ZX14R actually feels like a larger and longer bike than the VFR1200. The rider triangle stretched me out more and the fairing feels more massive. Riding it feels like straddling an ICBM, in more sense than one.

Both you guys are right on the money! I had an '08 heavily modified, EDR tuned 183HP 109TQ, Ohlins supension........ The 14 embarressed my VFR in the torque dept. Bazzaz vs Flie removal is about a wash. I thought the brakes were a scosh better on the 14 but, probably due to weight. (505 lbs) After break-in of new aftermarket chain, maintanance is all that's needed for a high end 530 chain. (virtually no more stretch) Mileage is too close to call..... I averaged 31-33 most rides. Handling, completely different.......... Even though I know different, the 14 felt longer but, when pushed to it's limits, handled more like a liter bike, albiet a heavy one..... I had genmars AND heli risers (1 3/4" total rise) and your rider triangle was stretched out more on the 14, than the Vfr. As much fun as the 14 was, and it was a hoot, I like the VFR, better..... A little better balanced and less sacrifices overall..... YMMV......

Both you guys are right on the money! I had an '08 heavily modified, EDR tuned 183HP 109TQ, Ohlins supension........ The 14 embarressed my VFR in the torque dept. Bazzaz vs Flie removal is about a wash. I thought the brakes were a scosh better on the 14 but, probably due to weight. (505 lbs) After break-in of new aftermarket chain, maintanance is all that's needed for a high end 530 chain. (virtually no more stretch) Mileage is too close to call..... I averaged 31-33 most rides. Handling, completely different.......... Even though I know different, the 14 felt longer but, when pushed to it's limits, handled more like a liter bike, albiet a heavy one..... I had genmars AND heli risers (1 3/4" total rise) and your rider triangle was stretched out more on the 14, than the Vfr. As much fun as the 14 was, and it was a hoot, I like the VFR, better..... A little better balanced and less sacrifices overall..... YMMV......

Sounds about right. I never did get to wringe out the ZX14. Those demo rides do have rules. :wink:

Yes, that 14 motor is a BEAST. Even though my C14 has the detuned VVT version, it had torque/HP all over the map. It will let me chug along at 2-3k RPM in top gear all day long, but when the mood strikes, drop a few gear, whack the loud handle, and whoa nelly!!!!

Still, even though the VFR1200 does make me work a little to stay in the powerband - and maybe it's precisely because of it - it feels more engaging to ride at a spirited pace. The slim waist and narrow overall width also rides more like a litresport than the ZX14. This could be all in my head, but the VFR1200 also feels more mass-centralized in quick transitions. It's hard to ignore the fact that the big inline4 is up front, rather than between your legs.

With the more aggressive ergos corrected, the ZX14 would probably make a better hyper speed sport tourer than the VFR1200. The larger fairings and big motor become valuable assets when cruising the interstate at clear above the legal speed.

Having owned both bikes I will jump into this. I have owned 2 ZX-14's. The first one was a 2006 and the 2nd was the 2nd gen 2012 model. No contest on power guys with either ZX-14 easily pulling away from my 2013 VFR 1200F (I owned both ZX14's until late last year). MY 2012 ZX-14 was a R&D project bike for Brock Davidson to develop his exhaust system and power commander mapping for the new ZX-14R. Hell the bike when it had enough break in miles on it made 194 RWHP bone stock on Brock's dyno. Go to Brock's web-site and look up the Louisville Slugger project bike. Comparing the raw performance of the two bikes is not fair since Honda did not design the VFR to compete with either the ZX-14 or the Hyabusa.

Even after modifying my VFR 1200 to make 168 RWHP and 94 ft/lbs TQ it will not keep up with even a good stock 1st gen ZX-14 let alone the 2nd gen ZX14-R. If your goal is to own the fastest bike between these two choices don't buy a VFR, buy a ZX-14. Same story with handling if you are comparing the 2nd gen ZX14R to the VFR. Pushed to their limits by a professional tester I bet you can't find one who would say the VFR handles better than the new ZX14R on a closed course comparison test.

That being said I have sold both ZX14's and I still have the 2013 VFR. There is more than pure performance to the ownership experience of a bike.

• Member Contributer

The ZX14 is an inline 4. End of story. It could make 220HP and I would not care. Traditional Inline 4's are boring, boring, boring, no matter how much torque or HP.

Give me a V4 or an engine that acts like a V4 (crossplane R1) any day of the week and thrice on Sunday. I'll take a V-twin too. Anything but a traditional inline 4. If inline 4's were all that were offered I'd buy an electric bike and charge it.

Could you elaborate a little on Blackbird vs VFR1200? I can't seem to get the 1200 out of my head and although I don't miss my Blackbird, I'd like to replace it with something better. Can you or anyone compare the two???

Could you elaborate a little on Blackbird vs VFR1200? I can't seem to get the 1200 out of my head and although I don't miss my Blackbird, I'd like to replace it with something better. Can you or anyone compare the two???

Auron,

Pretty sure your the same "Auron" from Colorado, on the FJR forum, I bought the Penske 8983 from.(great shock,BTW) I have not owned a Blackbird (rode one) but, have owned over 50 bikes in my life and could give you many comparison's. (Everybody's got an opinion.........) Obviously, we both moved on from our FJR's...... For me, and I remember us being the same size, The VFR handles better stock, than the FJR does, even with Penske/Traxxion full blown suspension. Good to see ya here!

Archived