Swingarm bolt - adjuster bolt

Guest seansparkle

Guest seansparkle

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been covered before I've done a search and found nothing.

I've been stripping my 4th gen VFR down to the bone, I've had the swingarm off and gave it a good clean, now I've put it on again and not sure if it's adjusted correctly.

The swingarm bolt has a threaded adjuster bolt on one end which can move in and out, a locknut over it and a standard nut on the other end.

I have a Honda service manual but it only mentions tightening the adjuster finger tight, then putting in the swingarm bolt, torquing the locknut and then torquing the main nut.

Does this sound right?

Has anyone got any experience with this?

Is there a way to check the swingarm is centered correctly?

Any help would be appreciated!

• Member Contributer

You got it right.. the arm will locate on the sprocket side.. and the adjuster locks it all together on the other.

Importantly there is no adjustment to the sprocket alignment. its fixed.. so nothing to worry about.. torque away....like the manual said.

Thanks for that, so I take it, it's just there to take up slack in the swing arm rather than actually position it.

Once again thanks it's reassured me.

On another note, there can obviously not be a way to adjust wheel alignment, I'm thinking the only way they could be out of alignment would be if the swingarm was bent?

• Member Contributer

lol.. good luck on bending the swing arm.. its proper strong....thats one i have never heard of happening!

Only chance of misalignment is is you have not done up that adjuster on the right leaving the axle the opportunity to move a few MM which in turn might turn the rear an exaggerated 5mm or so...

But once the shock goes back in.. things should button up fine. There is not that much chance for big error.

• Member Contributer

Well, "torque away" if you have the special Honda tool, that is! You won't be able to hold the locknut at the same time as you apply torque to the other part without it.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

swingarm lock nut tool part number from Honda - 07HMA MR70200 -

or cut your own with an old socket.....

..or buy one off ebay for £9.50! http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4602019858

Tools like that are only good for loosening. You need one like the one below in order to tighten with a torque wrench:

LockNutTool-1.jpg

Ciao,

Archived